Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

Re: How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

I carry 10x42 binos and an 85mm spotter all the time. Usually glass with binos mounted on a tripod. Once I see something interesting out come the spotter.

I usually just pack my binoculars. 12 x 50 so they are fairly strong. Most of my hunting is in treed areas so not looking a long distance. When sheep hunting I carry the spotter as well

Get good glass. I've got a Nikon 10X50CF, around $200. lifetime guarantee, waterproof, fog resistant, except for Leica, excellent light transmission. Leica's are significantly more expensive. I've got a cheap spotting scope, $80 of sale, but I mostly hunt clear-cuts, creek bottoms and disabled FSRs, you know, 604 kinda stuff. I went with the Nikon because their history making binoculars and their multi-coated lenses, the tree lines light up, I can see at least 5M into the tree-line after sundown, 20M or more in full daylight. The spotter enables me to hunt transmission lines, if I get the focus right at 50P/tripod I can count the tines as far as this 70yr is going to hike.

Spotter and binoculars are my most important tool I carry besides my rifle I don't go anywhere without them..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

D.I.Y. 10x50 monocular for 20+ years was new when sat on bye the fattest guy in the outfit. the moose is over 60

No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

My spotter NEVER leaves my pack. Seasons over this year, maybe try setting aside a little extra every month til next season and working at getting that set of bino's you want and wont need to upgrade from again in future.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

I always have binoculars, usually a vintage pair of Bushnell 7x35. The only time I use a spotting scope is at the range.

I mostly hunt timber anyway, but even on alpine mulie trips the 7x35 set is all I take.

Keep the spotting scope, if it is good.
    Sheep and Goat Hunts they are a valuable asset.
    Depending on some elk hunts, i take a spotting scope also.

Deer hunts i use binos, but a scope doesnt hurt either but depends if you will have area you will tend to sit for long times with great views to observe.
    If walking all day, not really sitting, then leave at camp.
    Some shooting tripods have an attachment for binos which is handy also.

I carry both most of the time. If I know I won't be glassing any great distance I'll leave the spotting scope, but most of the time I have both.

Scope is in the pack, bino in a harness with the strap around my neck (I saw a buddy lose 2 expensive sets of binos in one trip).

I mentally complain about the binos which motivates me to get them out and use them. Results occur.

I mentally complain about the spotting scope, which means that whenever we stop for any reasonable amount of time I get it out so that I'm not packing it for nothing.

I gotta be honest - I haven't picked up many animals with the spotting scope. With my luck I usually see *something* with the naked eye, identify it with the binos, and then look closely with the spotter. Typical is seeing something far away (especially above the treeline) looking through binos and thinking "maybe" and then getting the spotting scope on him to say "Yup, cranker/shooter/dandy" or "Where the hell is that 4th point?/is that really a spike bull?/etc".

If I had never spotted something far away and then made a multi-hour play for it I'd be less sold on the spotting scope, but it's turned up too much too often that's far away, so, yeah, I carry both 90% of the time.

Also, to riff on Bugle, a buddy just tricked out a tripod with a foam covered fence post saddle (JB welded a nut onto the saddle base, put foam on it, duct taped it, and it screws onto the tripod). Bions balance on each side of the saddle, the spotting scope rests in between and it works as a rifle rest.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Too add to this equation. If your hunting any sort of open or broken country. I would highly recommend a bino adapter for your tripod. It is a complete game changer. Anyone who has used one will agree.
    WSSBC
    CCFR