Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

I have a vortex viper spotting scope 15-45 x65 that I got a good deal on two years ago. I barely use it at all. Pretty much brand new. I don’t ever pack it on my hunts because of the extra weight and I’m not glassing super far.

I have a set of bushnel cheap binos and wanting to upgrade to the equivalent of my spotting scope or at least better. Not sure what to get. Eventually I’d like to go on a goat hunt and I think the spotter would be handy for me then.

Would you sell spotter then upgrade to killer binos or keep spotter and buy the best I could afford like razor or viper binos ( that price range of like 600-800$)?

Im thinking of having a good set of binos on a tripod that would do the work of a spotter but without hauling extra weight?

what do you think? Just brain storming here
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How many of you pack around binos and spotting scopes on a hunt ?

I'd keep the spotter, you'll end up buying another someday anyway. Get the Viper HD binos and tripod adapter. Glassing with binos attached to a tripod is really awesome, but there's times where the magnification of the spotter will be needed
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

It really depends on how and what your hunting. If we are on a goat or sheep hunt we pack a spotter. If we are hunting anything else just the binos and I do have a tripod for the binos if needed. Once you steady the binos on a tripod they do work better. I would look at the maven or the Leica trinovids are a good option.

Spotters dont get used a bunch but are a must have item. I only carry mine if I am in open type country. I also use a compact spotter thats quite light. I am less tempted to remove if from my pack when I am trying to cut weight. Quality binos are more important for sure!

Thanks for the responses so far. I do think your right tod about ending up buying another spotter down the road.
    mill check out the mavens and the leicas also
    thank you

ya when I do upgrade my binos I’ll definitely get the attachment for my tripod
    Member of CCFR

I have to say i have started using a spotter a lot more and probably doubled the amount of game i have seen .
    After scanning a grid on a hill side with my 10x42 Leica binos I go over it with the spotter and pick up game I missed with the binos.I have done this more than once.It is especially effective earlier in the year before the snow flies.

My partner packs binos and I pack the spotter. He does quick checks with his binos and when we stop to glass, he uses the binos and I get the spotter out.

Im probably getting new binos nest year. Ive been looking already and settled on the leupold bx4
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Keep spotter and upgrade binos as best you can...I pack both around with me always...

I pack both as well.

A Spotter can help you confirm Antler Points.
    On one situation my Spotter kept me from shooting a 5Pt Elk during a 6Pt Season.

If your Budget is $600 - $800, check out Maven.
    Although I don't own a pair myself....the Founder of KUIU as well as Rockslide gives Maven a solid Review.

I pack both. 8x binos, 15-45x65 spotter.
    I also rest my binos on my hiking stick when glassing.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.