Thread: What about wolves ambushing hounds?

What about wolves ambushing hounds?

An old hound dogger my son has done some hunting with wont let his hounds loose in any area that has wolf sign he claims the wolves will ambush and kill the dogs. Anybody have any experiences with wolves attacking your hounds? I really don't know what to make of this or how serious the problem is, any comments welcome. Ken
    My family has my heart!
    The forest owns my soul!

2. Site Sponsor

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Re: What about wolves ambushing hounds?

Rupert residents have lost many dogs to wolves in the last 5 years. They have taken them right off the leash while they are being walked by their masters.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Never had it happen to me but they will hone in on the baying dogs and there won't be much left by the time ya get there. Pretty simple if you are cutting lots of wolf sign I would leave the dogs in the box. No matter how big of a cat track you cut. It is pretty good around yours and my area right now sniper thanks to the ministery trapping alot out of the area. Only cut five wolf tracks this last cat season, one pack only seen their tracks one day.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper
    An old hound dogger my son has done some hunting with wont let his hounds loose in any area that has wolf sign he claims the wolves will ambush and kill the dogs. Anybody have any experiences with wolves attacking your hounds? I really don't know what to make of this or how serious the problem is, any comments welcome. Ken
    Believe him ,,for he is old and wise,and knowes what he is talking about....
    "Hunting" is selective harvesting of organically grown, free ranging meat, achieved by placing a good bullet in a vital spot. !!!

wolves are the worst thing going for hounds besides bears. i just lost 2 wicked walkers to a pack of young wolves on vancouver island, nanaimo lakes to be exact. a 1 1/2 year old bitch with last springs pups. turns out she was collared by the wild life branch. ya were wolf sign best to stay away, but some times you dont know they are there.

Not to sure on what ya mean on the bear comment but my dog tree around 50 a year.
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by houndogger
    Not to sure on what ya mean on the bear comment but my dog tree around 50 a year.
    Cats or bears? Wow, either way 50 is a lot.
    Blacktail Nut