Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin inreach

Garmin inreach

Garmin just increased the yearly fee to put your inreach on hold while you are not using it by $20.00, now $49.95 from $29.95

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin inreach

Guess if you only go outdoors during hunting season this is a problem ?

I don’t know about anyone else but mine stays active the entire year, who knows if I’ll need it quading snow shoeing ice fishing or any of the other various hobbies I enjoy.

sucks they raised the fee but it’s an invaluable service IMO !

Any company that decides a 70% increase is good customer service is suspect in my opinion. Going to yearly activation is probably a good idea...using a 70% increase to force people to do so is scummy way of treating customers. Sure makes me hesitate to continue with them...what would/will they increase next?

While I agree it has been a useful tool, it isn't one I would rely on 100%. My mini needs near perfect conditions and location to actually send a message. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah. I got that notce too.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Guess if you only go outdoors during hunting season this is a problem ?

I don’t know about anyone else but mine stays active the entire year, who knows if I’ll need it quading snow shoeing ice fishing or any of the other various hobbies I enjoy.

sucks they raised the fee but it’s an invaluable service IMO !
    I've been only activating mine for Sept/Oct/Nov ( now $110 w/ annual "freedom" fee) but will switch mine now to the annual safety plan ($180)
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Was looking at purchasing one of these as I have had a bit of experience with a friends in the field....
    Is the Inreach mini still the best way to go - considering fees etc...? Basically just want a way to communicate with home / and for safety.
    I will typically have my phone along with me. Appreciate your quick thoughts.

Rusty, take a look at the ZOLEO satellite communicators. Very similar to the inReach mini for what it does, and costs $200 less and the plans are starting at $25 a month which is similar to the inReach freedom plan ($20)
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I wrote back to Garmin and asked why said I didn’t think it was a fair increase. They said that the price hasn’t changed in 10 years etc. Havnt they only had the Inreach since they bought Delorme a few years ago?

Garmin said

Thank you for Contacting Garmin Billing. We would like to address your concern regarding the Annual Program Fee price increase.
    The Annual Program Fee covers the costs associated with allowing subscribers to maintain access to all of their data including their MapShare™ page, track points, messages and more for the full upcoming year, even if they suspend their service.

As a result of the current global pandemic, inReach has incurred price increases from its suppliers. With the best interest of our inReach subscribers in mind, Garmin opted to increase this yearly fee rather than monthly subscription prices.

inReach plan prices have not increased in nearly 10 years, and we must do so to continue providing best in class service to our customers worldwide.

If you would like to keep your inReach device active year-round for a lower monthly cost and no Annual Program Fee, you may switch to an Annual Plan. If you switch to an Annual Plan before your anniversary date, your credit card will not be charged the Annual Program Fee.

Yeah, this is a big bag of bullshit. I'll have to run the numbers again, it may be almost as expensive now to have the option to suspend service. I know prior to the increase you'd save money if you suspended 3-4 months a year. Probably not now.

Still would highly recommend an Inreach. Hang the Mini, splurge for a 66I with back roads maps.