Thread: Late Fraser Bow for Mulies

Late Fraser Bow for Mulies

Just got back from rifle hunting the Fraser River breaks around Williams lake (unsuccessful in 4 pt season, but saw some nice bucks).

it looks like there is no work for the next week, so I'm thinking of going back with the bow.

The he second rut should kick in shortly, but I am interested what you guys strategy is to get close in crunchy snow.

Blind? Decoy? Scnts.?

if it works I'll post a picture of the "Big 3"

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Late Fraser Bow for Mulies

Get in the big timber. It's "Generally" quieter. The deer will run up and down using draws/coulies for cover. The poopy thing is they've probably been pushed hard during the big boy season. So sneaking in may be tough. Buuutt... maybe the undersized bucks may not be as spooky in that area. I'd be ready to hike way down to the river and be expecting a pack out... but I wouldn't want to pack out a little guy from down in that country.

Nice thing is you'll probably have the area to yourself.

If its crunchy and I am moving I move a couple steps at a time then wait, you dont want that human cadence or step step step step. Then I stop and glass every thing I can see, take a couple steps, glass. The big one for me is if I have to make noise I carry a doe bleat and let out one or two bleats every couple minutes, the deer will let you get pretty close so see if you are a deer but they will already be looking at you so go slow and be ready.

That's funny. I have been thinking of giving this season a shot aswell. If it were me I would spend a couple days finding a good travel corridor with cover and setup there. I doubt you will be doing much spot and stalking in the crunchy stuff.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I think sitting and waiting would be your best bet as well. Getting into bow range spot and stalk would be a tough go the way the conditions seem to be up there.

should be a blast ti did it once..loved it.