Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmm,,,,something is different here

Re: Hmmm,,,,something is different here

Quote Originally Posted by 3than View Post
    Mastercaster is your dog a griffon?
    Yes. Got her from Quebec. Not many breeders in Canada and the majority of them are back east. I can't honestly say she was a very happy camper today. It poured the whole time we were out and although my buddy and I had our limits by 11:15 I had a sneaky feeling she would have rather been at home laying on her bed by the fire after a few hours of being out there. Plus the water is getting pretty damn cold especially when their feet are immersed in it for a long time in the blind. haha

I, ion the other hand, still enjoyed the day breaking in my new Pattern Master duck choke.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Yes. Got her from Quebec. Not many breeders in Canada and the majority of them are back east. I can't honestly say she was a very happy camper today. It poured the whole time we were out and although my buddy and I had our limits by 11:15 I had a sneaky feeling she would have rather been at home laying on her bed by the fire after a few hours of being out there. Plus the water is getting pretty damn cold especially when their feet are immersed in it for a long time in the blind. haha

I, ion the other hand, still enjoyed the day breaking in my new Pattern Master duck choke.

That's awesome! How would you say her temperament is? I've heard they are quite a bit more calm and less high strung compared to other hunting breeds.

Sako is not high strung at all! No excitement peeing ever or running around with her head cut off. Breezed through the two fear periods that pups can experience growing up in their first year. Super friendly,,,,likes people more than other dogs. Toddlers can rarely escape a good face washing.

Griffs are super willing to please and can be quite clingy but Sako isn't. She isn't a cuddler like some I've heard about so probably a lot of that is how they are brought up as well as the training. They are really easy to train but most of them do not thrive on too much repetition. They really love their owners.

Griffs are a high energy dog in that they need to be exercised frequently. I get Sako out twice a day but when she's at home she basically sleeps. lol. I have always known that a tired dog is a well behaved dog and because of that Sako has never wrecked anything in the house,,,,,furniture, carpet, shoes, clothing, etc. but I have heard of others who have if they've been left at home all day long on their own.

I suspect any griff that is destructive is because they haven't been exercised both physically and mentally nearly enough. I've been giving Sako the run of the house since she's been 7 months old when I've been out but I try not to leave her for anything longer than 4-5 hours. But she's knows I'm always coming back so she doesn't sweat it at all.

Some breeders, like the one I used only sell to hunters. I had to answer a lot of questions about that. Haha. I thought it was great, though. Means they care where their pups go. Although almost everyone's dog is a family member first griffs need to do what they love most. The breed was developed to be hunters.

That being said, they do love to get out hiking, running with you on trails, or while you're mountain biking, etc. Mine loves to be out with me in my fly fishing pram which we do a ton of in the late spring and summer,,,, she loves being in or on the water! If your plan is to hunt all types of birds they are a good choice.

They're very versatile and can do almost anything well but I don't know if I'd put them in the same category as a hard charging Labrador retriever when it comes to retrieving both on water or on land or being able to run long straight lines during a blind retrieve. After all, they are a pointer who were bred to quarter back and forth trying to locate birds. That being said, Sako has been able to recover everything she's been sent out to find.

I think I might lose 1-2 cripples per season but they would have had to of landed a couple of fields away or into a large river with a decent flow. I finished the force fetch process with Sako when she was about 10 months old, after her first season of hunting, so she understands it's her job to bring back a bird when being sent.

I'll get another for sure one day. But I also might own a lab, too, even though they shed a whole lot more than griffons.

Great description of your Griffon MasterCaster. She’s a good looking example of the breed and seems to be well on her way and very accomplished hunter. To me the versatile breeds are just the ticket for those of us who enjoy hunting all the birds wether duck, grouse, pheasant or what have you. Generally their intelligence is quite impressive for sure.

thanks for sharing your adventures
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

That's awesome! She sounds like a great dog.