Thread: New (to me) bow

New (to me) bow

I was recently given a neat recurve bow, made locally. It draws at 57 lbs at 28 inches. I am now pondering arrow choices, ie wood or carbon. I know there is a lot less to worry about with carbon arrows over wood (effects of moisture, spine straightness variability etc). Should I be using a heavier shaft to make up for the lower kinetic energy? My experience is only with compounds, so I'm asking because obviously the speed is lower from a more traditional type bow.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: New (to me) bow

Typically you will want a completed arrow that weighs at least 400 grains, probably more like 500 grains.

Purchase only shafts that are in your spine range - either wood or carbon. Trad shooters' use arrows that are much heavier than compound bow arrows, partly to make in penetration what they lack in speed (KE) but aso to help quiet the bow. Lighter arrows do a lot of rattling and clattering.

But - greater minds than mine will surely explain better than I ever could...

Do you plan to hunt with this bow? If so get your arrows heavy! If not go light for target shooting. If you intend to hunt go with carbons, and if you intend to target shoot go with carbons!!! So much better...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Thanks for the repsonses guys. I don't know yet if I plan on hunting with the bow, but I'm not ruling it out. Hermit, you seem convinced that carbons are the way to go, and I'm inclined to agree with you, as there are less variables to consider with carbons vs wood arrows. I need to get some arrows made up and take it out to play. I checked the vantage point outfitters site the other day, and see that you are a vendor for Dark horse arrows. Do they make anything in the weight range I'm going to be needing?
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Bow Walker Guest

You've got a good archery supply store up there in PG - why wait for shipping? PM Bowzone Mikey for any questions.

I shoot carbons in all three of my bows, one of which is a longbow, and my trad arrows weigh in at upwards of 400 grains. I'm shooting Gold Tip 5575's with 125 grain tips. I've bumped the weight up by inserting a length of rope into the shaft - full shaft length. That way you get the weight you need without compromising the spine.

Your 57 b bow weight suggests the same 5575 spined arrow. Cut to 30 inches (from their full length of 32 inches), fletched, with nock and insert you'll end up with an arrow weighing about 276 grains. Add you tip of choice - 125 grain or 140 grain for hunting - 100 grain or 125 grain for target/3D and you can see the results.

Using a 125 grain tip you'll get a final arrow weight at 400 - 410 grains, which will do well for either hunting or target, providing plenty of penetration on deer. The F.O.C. on an arrow built like that will be between 13% and 14% - just about perfect.