Thread: British Newbie wondering where to start

British Newbie wondering where to start

Hi Folks!

Here's my situation: I've recently moved to Canada from Scotland on a 2 year working holiday visa. I am keen to start hunting, but have very limited experience. I understand that as a non-resident I can only hunt large game with a guide, but that if I complete hunter safety training I could hunt small game independently. I don't really have the money to be paying guides so small game seems like the route to go.

Does this sound correct? If so what would be my next steps to get started in hunting small game (PAL etc.)?

It would also be great to hear any general advice on getting started in hunting.

I would ultimately love to hunt big game but am happy to put this aside until I am more settled, as well as focussing my energy on one thing at a time. I guess starting from scratch my first opportunity to hunt would be next season but I want to get prepared!

I'm not that fussy about what species I'd hunt. When I've caught my own fish, or taken small game with an air rifle in the past, it has felt extremely natural and fulfilling in a way you will all understand!

My main considerations are what can I hunt on public land, with fairly minimal kit. I don't mind long pathless walks! From what I've read, snowshoe hare hunting, or maybe upland birds seems like a good bet. Any thoughts on other game species to pursue?

Thanks in advance!

Smudge

2. Site Sponsor

Re: British Newbie wondering where to start

Not sure how the pal is going to work with your temp nature but I trust the instructors should know? Then if your allowed get your ass into a core/pal training course asap. Once you're past your 6 months residency your good to go.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Don't take my word for it but I believe you will qualify as a full BC resident after the 6 month waiting period. That would imply you can take your CORE course, get a full hunting license and hunt anything and everything. Covid is making CORE courses tricky, I would get on that right away if you can.

Where things might get sticky is the PAL which allows you to own a firearm. I'm not sure how temporary residents are considered under those laws but I'm sure you'll figure it out with a bit of research.

Good luck. You've found a great resource on this site.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Oh, and your first post is supposed to contain a joke. Unwritten rule.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Sign up for a PAL course ASAP. Send your application in right away. As a non Canadian you will likely have to get a criminal background check from your home country to provide to them. But do that now as it can take months. Also, if your intention is primarily hunting I would get a regular PAL and not one with a Restricted endorsement as it may be less hassle for you as a foreigner.

Then take the CORE course. Take your PAL course paperwork to the CORE course so you can skip the firearms practical test if you want. Send in your paperwork to the BCWF for processing.

After 6 months full time residency in BC you can buy a resident hunters license and tags.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Oh, and your first post is supposed to contain a joke. Unwritten rule.
    Correct. And being from the land of Monty Python, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers you will be held to a higher standard than most. No "Why did the chicken cross the road?" stuff allowed.

Do your core, buy a bow, you'll be hunting bears in the spring.

Smudge,

what region are you in? The reason I ask is I work with a company that employs a large number of people from the UK. If your in Victoria, fire me a private message. I'd be happy to help get you started.

I do allot of local waterfowl hunting and have helped a couple first time hunters get and process their first big game animals (both Island spot and stalk bears).

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Correct. And being from the land of Monty Python, Blackadder and Fawlty Towers you will be held to a higher standard than most. No "Why did the chicken cross the road?" stuff allowed.
    That's a high bar for sure! Here goes:

A friend asks the groom what he'll wear for his wedding.
    'A kilt', the groom replies.
    The friend asks 'what's the tartan?'

Groom: 'Oh, she'll be wearing a white dress!'

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very useful starting place. This seems a great forum so looking forward to more good discussion.

The PAL/CORE advice is noted! I've started investigating local providers. If anyone knows any good providers in the Golden/Kootenay area please do let me know.

I've double checked the residence requirement and for non-citizens I think it is 12 months unfortunately. This doesn't affect my first steps towards hunting anyway so I'll press on with getting courses booked.