Hi Folks!

Here's my situation: I've recently moved to Canada from Scotland on a 2 year working holiday visa. I am keen to start hunting, but have very limited experience. I understand that as a non-resident I can only hunt large game with a guide, but that if I complete hunter safety training I could hunt small game independently. I don't really have the money to be paying guides so small game seems like the route to go.

Does this sound correct? If so what would be my next steps to get started in hunting small game (PAL etc.)?

It would also be great to hear any general advice on getting started in hunting.

I would ultimately love to hunt big game but am happy to put this aside until I am more settled, as well as focussing my energy on one thing at a time. I guess starting from scratch my first opportunity to hunt would be next season but I want to get prepared!

I'm not that fussy about what species I'd hunt. When I've caught my own fish, or taken small game with an air rifle in the past, it has felt extremely natural and fulfilling in a way you will all understand!

My main considerations are what can I hunt on public land, with fairly minimal kit. I don't mind long pathless walks! From what I've read, snowshoe hare hunting, or maybe upland birds seems like a good bet. Any thoughts on other game species to pursue?

Thanks in advance!

Smudge