Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light weight .22 advice

Re: Light weight .22 advice

Quote Originally Posted by Funeral Of Hearts View Post
    Ya ive seen the rascals, she will grow out of that too fast. Shes fairly tall for her age (takes after her dad).
    weird i am 6-1 180 and have not grown out of stealing my kids rascal.
    e

My 11 year old daughter had a blast plinking targets and joining me on a few grouse hunts this year. She can shoot my savage mkii .22 but its a bit heavy for her to shoot without a bit of support (sitting and stabilizing her arm on her knee).

Any recommendations for a light weight .22? Something that will last her as she grows?
    Keep using your gun and get her a set of shooting sticks. Light, adjustable and easy to store.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

My 9 year old shoots my marlin xt bolt action .22.
    He shot the rascal a bit but we had major problems with misfires. I like that they are made to fit the kids but if they don't work well then the kids get frustrated.

My 11 year old daughter had a blast plinking targets and joining me on a few grouse hunts this year. She can shoot my savage mkii .22 but its a bit heavy for her to shoot without a bit of support (sitting and stabilizing her arm on her knee).

Any recommendations for a light weight .22? Something that will last her as she grows?
    I recommend you stay with the current rifle and teach her how to use a shooting stick (Primos). She can use it at current age and as she grows and develops, shooting stick can be used for heavier calibers later when the .22 is no longer too heavy. Alternatively, a Ruger 10/22 takedown with Magpul Backpacker stock is a good option weight wise.

Cooey Model #39. It's pretty accurate if my grandson's shooting is any judgement.

Don't worry about growing out of a small rifle.

I cut down a .22 Anschutz so it had an 18 inch barrel and a 12 inch length of pull for gopher hunting. It worked so well shooting out of the truck... you could scrunch up into any position and with a 6 power scope I hardly missed one out to 125 yards... you can always shoot a short stock, but too long is awkward.
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

There is nothing wrong with a Nylon 66, light weight and lots of back up bullet's.

I had a youth model marlin for the kids. Great little bolt action. Recently sold it tho, as the kids are now enjoying the 10/22. Have a collapsible stock with a lighter carbon barrel I put together in a take down model. They use it more than me now and I need to wait my turn. 50 yrd head shots on grouse, with a decent light leupold scope.
    An idea for the stock, that also carries 2 extra magazines with you.
    https://www.aztecharmory.com/adaptiv...8ck4gija8nf741

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    11 is getting tall for a Rascal tho. But they are nice and light and small. Best out of all the little kid guns I've tried.

A nice one that handles nice and is surprisingly light is a Browning T-bolt. Mine is a synthetic 22mag, I bet a 22lr is even lighter.
    Nice accurate rifle

Browning BLR-22 micro midas is another one my kids like. I put a Burris fastfire III on it with the MaddMacs low mount.
    Did you mount an optic on that? I have one as well and can't seem to find concrete info on the best sights for that rifle. 30mm rings?
    Edit / Delete