Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light weight .22 advice

Light weight .22 advice

My 11 year old daughter had a blast plinking targets and joining me on a few grouse hunts this year. She can shoot my savage mkii .22 but its a bit heavy for her to shoot without a bit of support (sitting and stabilizing her arm on her knee).

Any recommendations for a light weight .22? Something that will last her as she grows?
    Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat as necessary.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Light weight .22 advice

Little badger 22 is a great little unit for kids and adults alike. Its 3 pounds, toss a small red dot on top and its a grouse killer. I take mine every time I go big game hunting and it sits in my pack with some subsonics for when I see small game on a big game hunt.

Savage Rascal. No brainer. Single shot, bolt action, comes with a peep but can mount scope or red dot on it with hardware kit. Comes in a few colours. Great gun and I'll never get rid of mine.

11 is getting tall for a Rascal tho. But they are nice and light and small. Best out of all the little kid guns I've tried.

A nice one that handles nice and is surprisingly light is a Browning T-bolt. Mine is a synthetic 22mag, I bet a 22lr is even lighter.
    Nice accurate rifle

Browning BLR-22 micro midas is another one my kids like. I put a Burris fastfire III on it with the MaddMacs low mount.
    Last edited by Drillbit; 12-01-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Ya ive seen the rascals, she will grow out of that too fast. Shes fairly tall for her age (takes after her dad).

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Little badger 22 is a great little unit for kids and adults alike. Its 3 pounds, toss a small red dot on top and its a grouse killer. I take mine every time I go big game hunting and it sits in my pack with some subsonics for when I see small game on a big game hunt.
    I was looking at one of those a couple of weeks ago. Very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I do the exact same thing, in fact i now own a few. Taking a grouse ,rabbit or even just target practice. Love it
    Hunting the promised land

Take a look at the Henry Mini Bolt. 3.25lbs stainless/synthetic high quality little single shot.

Looked at a few different models. Think im going to go with a Winchester Wildcat... seems decent.

Marlin "Papoose" take down rifle, light and accurate great plinker and grouser.