Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rodents in a wall tent

Re: rodents in a wall tent

Worst year with mice had 76 take the plunge. Had the little buggers piled a foot high in the bushes

Lol, this thread brings to mind the vermin dining scene of Farley Mowats "Never Cry Wolf"

I'd leave one of those five gallon pails in the kitchen tent but I don't really want to listen to them swimming around until they die in the sleeping quarters.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

My crew often recalls the year that pack rats tried to overrun our wall tent. Some good laughs.
    we now have a solid supply of traps in our tent bay that get set if needed. They have been a great solution
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Classic hunting story. This is what it's all about. The trials and tribulations that make one laugh for years following. They usually start out " do you remember the time".

I got in a scrape with a rat just a few years back. I had headed in for a late season muley hunt and although I had my wall tent I chose to stay in a small cabin that was in the area. It had signs of mice or rats in it when I arrived. I cleaned it up best I could and set up in it. That night I was awoken with something running across me while I was sleeping on my cot. The headlamp showed a bushy tailed wood rat! I jumped after him chasing him around the cabin with a piece of firewood. He escaped through a hole in the wall. The next day I blocked that hole with a board I found. That night I lit the stove in the cabin and it was so hot I couldnt sleep. I opened the door and was able to sleep then. I awoke later to a very cold cabin and closed the door. As I tried to go back to sleep I heard rustling. The rat was back! I had a firewood supply of ammo by my cot and a barrage of airborne firewood was deployed at the fast moving varmit!! He kept running back to the hole I had blocked. I realized then he had came in through the open door that when I closed it I had trapped him inside! A quick chase with an open door had him out and gone!

I find I have more problems if I camp at a campsite, like a recsite, than if I camp out in the bush.

Yup, I concur with the bucket trap, never need to reset, catches mice all nice every night. I bait with peanut butter. Remember to put your food away, the little *******s can fly, no problem getting up on top of a counter or table and they shit on everything. Just don't let the mice pile so high in the bucket that other mice can use the to stand on and jump out. And don't dump the dead mice where they will attract predators to the campsite, remember someone else might wanna use that site after you leave and a bunch of rotting mice might bring in bears, Don't leave your hides there too for that matter.

Always get mice in the wall tent. Usually set half a dozen traps before i hit the sack. One year had a problem with chipmunks.

Never had mice/rat problems while tenting including long periods in the Yukon. In general sleeping & cooking tents were separate.
    But almost all the old trapper’s cabins/shacks I/we stayed in while camping/hunting/working had rodent problems especially in the middle of the night. Had them even running over our heads.

Check post #22-rat nest on the battery-was lucky the wires were all intact. The NL camper is rat/mice proof.
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...=rats+vehicles

Traps in tents/cabins using peanut butter work well –they will also catch squirrels/chipmunks or other small rodents.

Here’s rat infested gang cabin by Gaspard Lake-see post #26
    Not to worry-stayed in the camper.
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?103986-chilco-choate-film/page3&highlight=gaspard+lake+photos

Note- if you have tent problems with rodents-check your vehicle engine/battery compartment regularly.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein