Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rodents in a wall tent

Re: rodents in a wall tent

We left a ranch in region 3 once after a few days hunting. I was driving my sons truck and when we stopped for gas popped the hood so he could check the oil. My other 2 boys and I wondered what the hell when he jumped back and said there is a squirrel in there. We got out and looked for a bit but because we were worried about missing a ferry shut the hood on him and took off. We were running late so drove hard over Duffy and just got on the ferry. We were laughing about what a ride the critter must have had and if he was still with us. I popped the hood and there he was kind of singed and confused looking. I grabbed his tail to flip him overboard and the tail broke off and he dove back into the engine leaving a little broken tail blood trail Now we all got out and started poking around and a ferry worker came along. He got real panicky that if it came out and got loose he might get shit. We never did get it out and the ferry worker kept his job. So if anyone has seen a bushy tail woodrat(we googled it) north of Nanimo I guess we're to blame.

For a number of years in a row I moose hunted near Chetwynd. August/September Most of those years we stayed in a wall tent that was 16' x 17'. There was always mice around but never too many to be a big issue. you would hear them as soon as you turned out the lights running over the wood pile etc.. Some of us were sleeping on wooden bunk beds and a couple were on low rise cots off to the side. As a prank my buddy put a full unsliced loaf of bread under the head area of Jeremy's cot that night. In the morning he said he could hear mice all night long. The loaf of bread looked like a large block of swiss cheese it had so many holes in it.

After a weekend of no sleep because a mouse was in the camper one hunting trip I purchased mouse traps that stay with the hunting gear. Probably have 8-10 traps now.
    Every year I set the “trap line” around the tent and camp site. There are nights that I catch up to a dozen mice. The whiskey jacks love the pile of dead mice left for them each morning.
    The best was one year a pack rat got into the wall tent. A bunch of grown men squeezing like little girls.

Funniest one by far was a packrat in camp. Annual fishing trip with a dozen buddies.

We all had potato guns. Makes the lake fishing a little more interesting when you're hearing the "cannons roar" haha

Anyways, the packrat was spotted in camp and to say it was a scramble for the bag of spuds is kind of an understatement.
    When the rat appeared on the grill of the open countertop BBQ, the Cannons Roared!

The first spud hit the rat CX, right in the chest and the spud slammed the bbq closed and carried the BBQ right off the picnic table!
    A few of the other shots missed, a few hit the bbq laying on the ground, and a few were saved for the "double Tap".
    It wasn't needed

We still laugh about that one
    Last edited by Drillbit; 12-01-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Vaguely remember a story about my dad and a couple buddys sleeping in a small one room dirt floor cabin on a hunting trip. I guess one of them spotted a pack rat climbing along a wall just before he was asleep and pulled out the 44 magnum wheel gun and shot it. He was on the shit list for a while their ears were ringing for the rest of the next day. There may have been quite a bit of whiskey involved. ..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Someone left an outside cupboard door open at the back of the trailer one night and a pair of mice got in. A nightmare trying to sleep for a couple of nights because we couldn't catch them. They just ran along the back walls of the cupboards which were all connected and up into the guts of the stove. They made a nest in one cupboard using parts of the cloth handles of my fly fishing bag. Eventually herded one into a corner on the counter and I leapt up and hammered him with a bread board. Unfortunately, I had to straddle my son's head to get in position, so the cojones were dangling a few inches from his face. He was scarred for life (even though he was in his 30's at the time). The second one ran out the open door the next morning.

We had a moose camp set up by Damsumlo Lk, the place was infested with mice. The first night we all had trails of droppings down the sides of our cots. We turned a tote into a bucket trap and watched them just pile in, as we sat around the fire with willow sticks killing them as they crawled over everything. Took 50 -60 mice out of there over 3 days, by the end it wasnt too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    After a weekend of no sleep because a mouse was in the camper one hunting trip I purchased mouse traps that stay with the hunting gear. Probably have 8-10 traps now.
    Every year I set the “trap line” around the tent and camp site. There are nights that I catch up to a dozen mice. The whiskey jacks love the pile of dead mice left for them each morning.
    The best was one year a pack rat got into the wall tent. A bunch of grown men squeezing like little girls.
    Some were squealing, I wasn’t!!

I spend a few nights every year in a back country cabin. I was up there with a friend who had never been there last spring, and woke up to see a nest of mice behind the poly sheeting right in front of my nose.
    I was able to bring my long range mouse rifle up to my side, and successfully bagged 2 of the 3. The 3rd was wounded by a pass through, and recovered later that morning after a tracking job.

Beautiful coats on them after the winter. 6 or 7 more and I'd have had enough for a nice fur lined banana hammock.

For those interested, my kit was adidas slides, bench boxer briefs, smartwool merino hiker socks. Shooting a Crossman 760 loaded with copperhead BBs at 10 pumps. Range was approximately 2" for the first shot since they were bedded, out to about 26-27" for follow ups. I took the shot from a kneeling position.
    Last edited by Squamch; 12-05-2020 at 07:22 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    I spend a few nights every year in a back country cabin. I was up there with a friend who had never been there last spring, and woke up to see a nest of mice behind the poly sheeting right in front of my nose.
    I was able to bring my long range mouse rifle up to my side, and successfully bagged 2 of the 3. The 3rd was wounded by a pass through, and recovered later that morning after a tracking job.

Beautiful coats on them after the winter. 6 or 7 more and I'd have had enough for a nice fur lined banana hammock.

For those interested, my kit was adidas slides, bench boxer briefs, smartwool merino hiker socks. Shooting a Crossman 760 loaded with copperhead BBs at 10 pumps. Range was approximately 2" for the first shot since they were bedded, out to about 26-27" for follow ups. I took the shot from a kneeling position.

That is some good stuff right there HAHAHAHA.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.