Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting definition

Hunting definition

As opposed to derailing the thread on using a drone for hunting I thought I would start a new one.

The regulations in BC define hunting as:

Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at, attracting, searching for
    , chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured: (a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or (b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

So how about this hypothetical scenario:

You shoot an elk of a lifetime with a bow minutes before the legal close of hunting in the evening, it's early season, the temperature is hot and the elk takes off. Often a bow hunter will wait an hour for the animal to die. If you waited to search for the animal until the next morning you risk losing the entire animal because of the heat. So are you breaking the law (hunting at night) if you search for the animal since you would be technically 'hunting' by 'searching for' the animal 'with intention to capture the wildlife'?

To me the definition of Hunt & Hunting is way too broad from the definition that you'd find in a dictionary. What do you think?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting definition

Definition is not too broad.. every ones interpretation is
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Sorry but I think this is pretty common sense. No CO in the world is going to write you up for trying to recover a wounded animal, as long as you aren’t trespassing.

At that point you have already hunted and are now just finishing the task by recovering your animal, which may be searching, but not hunting. You've already killed it.

technically you would be breaking the law, but I dont think any CO would charge you as you are doing the right thing.

What has come up before are cat hunters that cruise the roads at nighttime after a fresh snow fall looking for fresh tracks. Once they find them they sit there and wait til daylight (all this to beat other people to the fresh tracks). Even doing this I doubt you would get charged. But say you followed fresh tracks at daylight and killed a mother and kittens and broke a few other laws, if you got caught and the CO's found out how you found the tracks, Im sure you would be charged with Hunting at night too.

Like I said I think it comes into play how the animal was killed/shot and what led up to that. If the CO's really wanted to charge people for this it would be super easy going after bow hunters who usually sit in tree stands. they are usually in the tree (Lying in wait) well before daylight.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Sorry but I think this is pretty common sense. No CO in the world is going to write you up for trying to recover a wounded animal, as long as you aren’t trespassing.
    I'm not so certain a CO wouldn't write you up, depends on the situation. So you track the wounded animal till say an hour after legal and finally find it bedded but alive, do you shoot it? If you do I hope you find a very understanding CO! K

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    As opposed to derailing the thread on using a drone for hunting I thought I would start a new one.

The regulations in BC define hunting as:

Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at, attracting, searching for
    , chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured: (a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or (b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

So how about this hypothetical scenario:

You shoot an elk of a lifetime with a bow minutes before the legal close of hunting in the evening, it's early season, the temperature is hot and the elk takes off. Often a bow hunter will wait an hour for the animal to die. If you waited to search for the animal until the next morning you risk losing the entire animal because of the heat. So are you breaking the law (hunting at night) if you search for the animal since you would be technically 'hunting' by 'searching for' the animal 'with intention to capture the wildlife'?

To me the definition of Hunt & Hunting is way too broad from the definition that you'd find in a dictionary. What do you think?
    Dont shoot you all ready said last minute and its hot out. You dont have to shoot sometimes have to think of the consenquences.
    Now if you have to shoot you could call it in so they no whats up if your concerned.

I would make a call at that point.
    May also have to inquire about dispatching the animal if still alive but mortally wounded, although, early in season, most likely something else still being
    hunted, but if not and someone hears shots and then find you with dead elk, well, then you got some explaining to do.
    Just easier to call sometimes.

Shoot a creature that is near a park boundary, and it takes off into park, you definitely have to call parks!
    Never walk into there!

Sounds to me like you just found a loophole for those huge animals way back in the bush. Shoot at dark, don't go looking until morning(following the law), and then you only have to cut off the antlers because all the meat is spoiled and there are no longer any edible portions.....
    Seriously though, it is your responsibility as a hunter to make every effort to recover an animal once shot. The law is clear. It is your responsibility to tailor your hunt to fall within the parameters of all laws. This may mean that if you are a guy who waits an hour before he looks, you should stop hunting about an hour and a half before dark. Or be sure to double lung it and start looking right away. Give yourself a half hour of light. Most likely though, mornings will be your best bet. Good luck on all your future hunts, real and theoretical.

It's another one of those "letter of the law" versus spirit of the law issues.

The letter of the law also says that if you order a cougar tag online (just an example, but it is the case with ordering any tag) from the moment you order the cougar tag you cannot participate in any hunting, even if it for animals you have tags for (like deer) or animals that dont require tags at all (grouse) until you have the cougar tag in your hand. I was defacto banned from any hunting for a couple weeks this year with an unrelated tag pending in the mail for a couple weeks. Front Counter confirmed that, but my inquiry to the ministry was ignored.

I think it comes down to the laws being poorly written. I doubt a CO would lay a charge, but it is the letter of the law.

I wish they would make some effort to fix these things, but making a hunters life easier seems to have zero priority.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-01-2020 at 10:00 PM.