Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Late season hunting advice requested...

Re: Late season hunting advice requested...

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Camper with wood heat. I am well rested for a full day of hunting, then back to camp for a leisurely evening. I don't like hunting all day then a longish drive home, then straight to bed. I also don't like a longish drive out to my intended spot. I just save up my time to hunt for a string of days, it works for me.
    Sounds like a good way to do it. If I do it, I'll be camping using our 3 person MSR tent (3 season) it packs pretty small, and maybe I'll buy an extra synthetic sleeping back to put my down one into. I have a little pelican sled I can drag behind me in the snow to an intended base camp. Just got to see if I can take off the time. And convince the fam (and myself) that I'l be safe lol.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Sounds like a good way to do it. If I do it, I'll be camping using our 3 person MSR tent (3 season) it packs pretty small, and maybe I'll buy an extra synthetic sleeping back to put my down one into. I have a little pelican sled I can drag behind me in the snow to an intended base camp. Just got to see if I can take off the time. And convince the fam (and myself) that I'l be safe lol.
    You're more safe now than you would be in September. All the bears will be asleep

For non wood heated basecamp I have used a duvet cover from home over my existing sleeping bag and been comfy well in the negatives.

Consider a way to keep your damp boots from freezing overnight. That's going to be one of the most uncomfortable things to deal with.

Dont forget your piss jar. Dont be wasting precious body heat running outside to take a leak at 2am

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    I wonder if this applies to Kelowna as well.... Thanks for the info!
    It does as the study area was south Okanagan/west Kootenays.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You're more safe now than you would be in September. All the bears will be asleep

For non wood heated basecamp I have used a duvet cover from home over my existing sleeping bag and been comfy well in the negatives.

Consider a way to keep your damp boots from freezing overnight. That's going to be one of the most uncomfortable things to deal with.

Dont forget your piss jar. Dont be wasting precious body heat running outside to take a leak at 2am
    I was going to try to make a long fire, kinda like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcxu9DPRpIw

I don't usually pee at night, not much of a water drinker no matter how much I hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill-da-wabbit View Post
    It does as the study area was south Okanagan/west Kootenays.
    That's promising!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Its one thing to find sign of say MD tracks.
    But, if they are B-Line type, and only here and there, i dont waste anytime there.
    I look for areas where tracks criss cross a lot, and seems to have activity that looks like they are actually "hanging" in the area.

As for rut, and Does going into heat, where i was, it seemed to hit around the 14th of November appr, imo.
    So, a 2nd round should be on its way soon.
    You cant be too far off, just need to dig a little deeper where Does are hanging daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Its one thing to find sign of say MD tracks.
    But, if they are B-Line type, and only here and there, i dont waste anytime there.
    I look for areas where tracks criss cross a lot, and seems to have activity that looks like they are actually "hanging" in the area.

As for rut, and Does going into heat, where i was, it seemed to hit around the 14th of November appr, imo.
    So, a 2nd round should be on its way soon.
    You cant be too far off, just need to dig a little deeper where Does are hanging daily.
    Great advice, thank you!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton