Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bino's and Range finder or a combo unit

Re: Bino's and Range finder or a combo unit

I started out with the Ziess victory RF 10x42, the range finder in them worked well to 1700 yards or so, and they are super clear, but heavy.. the other problem we had was the numbers were hard to see sometimes when you had the Bino’s right up at your eyes. Tried every adjustment we could and just couldn’t get it to work proper. Sold them and bought the swaro EL and they work great. Only on second battery, must be about 7-8 yrs old now. Wicked clear but really will only range to about 1200. Which is way farther than I can shoot but sometimes it’s just nice to know How far away things are. They are lighter and more compact than the victories as well. Don’t find the weight or size a problem at all. Wear a bino buddy and they hang nicely on your chest.
    The wife runs a good set of bino’s, so we bought a vortex 4000 rangefinder for her to carry this year. I can honestly say I am super impressed with that rangefinder. Works very fast, we have ranged animals to 2000 yards. The speed and response is so much faster than the swaro bino’s and I don’t know what the difference is but they will range through a window, where the swaro won’t. That isn’t a big deal but sitting in our hunting blind we don’t have to open the windows to check out the animals and their distance. I found myself hunting Muledeer this fall carrying the vortex and using my spotting scope for watching animals. I am a huge fan of the vortex 4000, great price, great warranty and field proven for me. In my opinion the rangefinder in the swaro and zeiss don’t compare, I’m gonna be looking for a high power bino to compliment the vortex.

I have a Leica rangefinder... but only because i cant afford high end optics with range finder built in. And I dont want the lower end built-in combos.

If I could afford Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss binos with built in rangefinder I would definitely go that route, but too far out of my price range.

Picked up a set of Geovids 3 years ago, and cant even remember how I ever used seperate units. Best $2500 I may have ever spent.

Go with a combo system and you won't regret it... unless its vortex, then yeah you might regret it.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Divide & Conquer !

Cheers
    Is that a reference to Schmidt and Bender?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

I got the Vortex Fury 5000 HD about two weeks ago and colour me impressed so far.

Glass seems great and I really like the range finder. I haven't practised ranging things (or had a need) much in my life and now I'm bringing these bino's everywhere. Already have seen improvements in my ranging.

For someone that is new to hunting I felt like it was reasonable place to start and combines two pieces of gear into one (and there's alot of gear to sift through and try to figure out what you need when you're new).

I understand they aren't the best glass available on the market but as a newcomer I can't really tell the difference yet. It gives me room to upgrade yet still leaves me feeling reasonably well equipped for the time being. If I really get into this and it becomes my no.1 hobby I'll have no issue upgrading at some point but I also may never feel the need.
    Last edited by MZac; 01-11-2021 at 02:43 AM.