Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bino's and Range finder or a combo unit

Bino's and Range finder or a combo unit

Wondering do you like separate units or a combo all in one. Interested in what you are running and why. Never Had a range finder and starting to think of new Bino's. Personally with no experience I am leaning towards one unit but I know nothing of the merits either way or if there is any difference that matters. Have only shot one animal over 300 yards but in the right conditions would shoot to 500, would also settle arguments about perceived distance. Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bino's and Range finder or a combo unit

I use separate. I have always wondered if I would like them together but I am just used to what I have. I also wonder if the added weight of a combo would make glassing off hand more difficult?
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I have heard really good things about leica geovids.

I have separate units. I have the Boone and Crockett reticle on my scopes so a range finder is pretty much required to determine what aiming point to use. It sure helped me to take a moose at 325 yards, didn't have to guess at hold over just used the 300 yard aiming point and squeezed the trigger. One of my hunting buddies has the Swaro combo unit and really likes it.

I have a separate range finder. I would like it in a set of binos, but only Leica or Swaro. If I could or ever can afford it I would buy one of those.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Divide & Conquer !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

I got RF sig sauers but still used my leupold range finder to bow hunt. The binos are too cumbersome to use one handed for archery. Once rifle season rolls around I only use the binos. Thought lots about getting rid of them for higher quality glass.
    Just a conspiracy bro!

Love the swaro EL range binos. Again came in handy this fall to range elk out to 1200 yrds. We closed the distance to 800 and could not get closer as he was in the open and some deer buggered up our creeping in closer. Not comfortable shooting out to 800 so sadly had to sit and watch as he walked away. Too many times to list on the necessity of good glass and ranging capabilities out in the field. I constantly hear stories of guys not able to shoot because they can not tell if the young moose is a legal immature or not, or shoot and run away after realizing the illegal kill. Had an instance 2 years ago that we were on our last day of elk hunting, and on our last legal 15 min of light, and was able to count the 5 points on an elk in a 6 point elk season. No way to do that with cheap glass, and then always think back wondering if it was legal or not. I HATE those scenarios and the expensive glass is worth it, just for that.

Excellent low light bino that have helped identify legal game. Now also pack the swaro spotter. The 1200 yrd elk was an easy tell of 6 points in under a minute once the spotter was set up on him. Lots of scenarios over the years of game between 100 and 600 yrds that I was comfortable to shoot, but were not legal. Makes taking a shot at that range possible knowing the range you are shooting.

Weight is a mute point, as a combo bino and separate ranger are going to be larger and heavier than the combo unit.

Pay once, cry once and enjoy the purchase for many years to come. After 5 yrs of use I am still on the same battery, and use them often when out, even just to range areas we sit on while out hunting to get range ideas around us. Would not ever hesitate to do the purchase again, and only ever sorry I didn't do the purchase years ago. Yea they are expensive, start saving your pennies, even cut 1/2 your coffee purchases/ maybe even booze for a year and you would be surprised what you could buy with the savings from that alone.

Not trying to sell you on the swaro set, but any of the top 3-4 are the way to go. See what ones fit you the best and don't look back.

i picked up a set of vortec fury5000 last year and the range feature has certainly come handy and was used to measure distance and successfully harvest animals. Another thing i like to is if there is a point of interest or game your watching being able to estimate distance and then check

I started out with a Swaro rangefinder. Worked excellent. I found it a minor hassle going from the bino's to the rangefinder and back again and I was going to upgrade my binos so I sold the rangefinder and bought the swaro combo bino's. They are fantastic and I cannot tell the difference in weight between them and a non rangefinder pair. Look through the Leica, Zeiss, and Swaro - see which looks best to you, save up and buy it.

The rangefinder is a step change in distance shooting. It is very easy to misjudge distance and after 300 yards it really makes a big difference. I break my post 300 yard holdover into 50 yard increments.