Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie tips from a newbie

Re: Newbie tips from a newbie

Looks like you are in a good area. Look for fresh rubs and beds. Keep using your camera

Quote Originally Posted by DannyO View Post
    Copy that, I thought that first rub was this years, has hair on it and fibres hanging from it. Will be on the look out for fresh rubs next year.

thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys, It’s an addictive pastime isn’t it!

Caddis- wouldn’t that be nice. A bear is top of my list... I ...am...obsessed with trying to get a bear haha
    Hey DannyO

You might very well be right. You had a better look at it than anyone else on here can see from the picture. Some fresh fibers and hair... could be a little rubbing and scent marking action happening on top of the old stuff.

Here's a video of some fresh rubs (less than a week old) on saplings that were previously undisturbed in case it helps you or anyone. Funny part too is the rubs were all around my blind, even some of the saplings my blind was tied up to so it wouldn't blow away (you can see the difference in dirt texture where the blind was when I pulled it towards the end there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YVkXK9m0Kc

As for the bear, I think it will be a gimmie for your next spring. Apply the same effort and thinking that you are doing with deer and it will almost seem unfair
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-01-2020 at 10:28 PM.

Here's another fresh one that isn't a sapling. Funny enough, I don't even hunt around this area anymore and the area I do hunt has like zero rubs, but way more deer. There are a few cranker blacktails that cruise by "rub land" while the WT's are super active and the WT vs BT ratio is like 10:1 now in this little pocket... no season for them... Region 2 problems *sigh*

Last edited by caddisguy; 12-01-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Looks like you have a pretty good Whitetail spot.
    You need to try and find some scrapes, or a scrape line that a buck has been visiting daily, often several times a day. A rub tells you where a buck has been, a scrape tells you where he is going to be, unless for some reason it becomes inactive, and they do for whatever reason.

that much hair in a rub, and the size of it I would say that is your bear spot. I have never seen a rub with a ton of deer hair in it, and they are usually 1/4 that size. I too explored an area where I have seen whitetails in the summer, happened to bump a couple, so went back 2 days later, sat in an old slash pile, rattled and called and had a small buck walk out beside me at 6 yards, he basically walked right around the end of the pile I was sitting in. I have never had any luck trying to walk and hunt whitetails, find them and sit.

XPEIER

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    WT vs BT ratio is like 10:1 now in this little pocket... no season for them... Region 2 problems
    As far as the government is concerned, there are no whitetail in region 2. I would beg to differ though, since I’ve seen them on my lower acreage here on the Whiterock/Blaine border.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.