Thread: Dog foot care

Dog foot care

Does anyone use Mushers wax or any other product for there dogs feet before or after hunting the marsh? I have taken my dog out the last 2 weekends and i think her paws may be bothering her a little today.

Thanks in advance for any info

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog foot care

Alum works well for tuffining up the pads, also pea gravel in there runs, never had a pad problem in 60 yrs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I would think just getting your dog out twice a day off leash on various terrain for an extended period would work well to toughen up your dog's feet. Kind of like toughening up your hands in a gym. ie. turning city hands into country hands! lol

She gets a half hour walk with the wife every morning on leash and on pavement and I take her at least every other day off leash to different places. I cant figure out why this weekend they were so bad. Just looking for anything to help but maybe it was just a one off.

Thanks

what exactly were the symptoms?
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

just seem that she is irritated in-between her toes and around her toe nails. Yes she was rinsed and washed when we returned from the marsh.

it could be mild yeast infection, give it the sniff test

a few days of wet conditions also creates a better environment for the yeast to grow too.....the vet gave me burrows solution, drops for his ears and paws, but we also do a 50/50 apple cider vinegar/water soak and thorough drying...both seem to help his paws

but yes, i do use mushers wax in the winter, and also helps in the summer on hot sand and gravel, but that is really for the pads, don't think that would really help if the irritation is around/between her toes
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Thanks BRvalley, I was hoping the wax may help a little with keeping in between her toes a little cleaner or even easier to clean.

You did not state what breed your dog is, but some breeds are prone to allergies. Unlike allergies in humans where our respiratory tract is the main target (think hay fever), in dogs their skin is first to react. Specifically the skin between toes, armpits and groin tend to get irritated. So, if cleaning and drying those feet does not solve the problem it may not be just the marsh.

That's good to know 35rem. My dog is a GSP about a year and a half old.