Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post - Second duck - Will it last?

First post - Second duck - Will it last?

First post on here, have been lurking for months. I'm new to hunting this season and I shot my 2nd duck today. I breasted the first one and had a bit more time to spend on my second today. This year's goal was one duck which I've now doubled. Next year's goal is one deer.

I'm going to cook up half of the duck today in a coffee rub (along with the heart )as an appetizer. I want to save the other half until Friday (today is Monday). Will it keep in the fridge until then the way I've butchered it, or do I need to freeze it? I've also never eaten a heart before - All I did was cut off the top and rinse it under cold water. Good to cook up and eat like that?

It is truly amazing how much goes into getting your first couple ducks when you haven't had any previous hunting experience or exposure. It feels extremely rewarding and fulfilling, in a way I haven't experienced. Thank you to all the contributors on here, very helpful for noobs!

[IMG
    ][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First post - Second duck - Will it last?

wow great job on the plucking...looks really appetizing...ps....the gizzard is also awesome...just cut it along the edge to avoid the sand inside dulling the knife and peel out the lining ...

Congratulations and great plucking job indeed.

Congrats, that does look awesome and the plucking job too! Looking forward to hearing how your supper went, what a fine start!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Congrats, great job on that Mallard.

It’ll be okay in the fridge till friday and very nice job on cleaning.

A+ plucking job. I can't remember the last time I plucked the entire duck.

Your duck should be good in the fridge that long. Some people will even hang their ducks for a week or two.

Thanks gents for all the compliments and appreciate the confirmation that it will keep until Friday, where we do round two:

1. Checkered the skin (didn't go into the meat) and added the rub to both sides;

[IMG][/IMG]

2. Cooked it skin side down to render the fat from the skin for about 5 minutes. Flipped it and used a meat thermometer. Pulled it off at 127 degree:
    [IMG][/IMG]

It was like the blackened cajun chicken you get at Earls, except that duck just doesn't taste like chicken. Man that was good!

wow of you want to prep all the meat like that i will put you infront of deer... great job!!!@

bad tasting meat is due mostly to accidents and lack of effort cleaning great work again!