Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

Re: Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    On our moose hunt in 7-35, I stopped to chat with some local gas workers that were doing some large scale terracing of a slope. Really nice folks. One of the crew offers to show me some drone footage of a very very large bear that has been interfering with some of their work about 6 hundred yards downslope from where we were standing. As we looked at the video and are pointing down toward the area... yep... the big ******* strolls out and starts munching his way into view. It was very tempting to put a stalk on him... I really badly want a big rug for the man cave.

They asked if I had a bear tag and would I be interested in removing him. Although I also wanted to do them the favour of removing the bear, I politely declined. Mostly because I didn't want to take the time away from locating a moose. But also because I had just watched the video.

Incidentally, he also had footage from several days previous of a couple bulls nearby. These I declined to even look at...
    If the footage is more than six hours old, why not?

"
    1. To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghilliesuit View Post
    If the footage is more than six hours old, why not?

"
    1. To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition."

If you're on your hunting expedition it's probably best not to look at any drone footage from the area you are hunting in period. There may be some loophole to exploit here but why bother? Just go hunting instead!
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

If the rule is "less than 6 hours" then watching older footage isn't a "loophole"; it's the rule.

“The minute you leave your house to go hunting to the minute you get back to your house, that's considered a hunting expedition”. I didn’t agree with that statement. What if your drone never left your truck? You think they would have to find photo evidence before they charged you.

The followers are strong in many threads here lately. 6 hrs is there for a reason. Same as non-scheduled flights; must wait 6hrs before hunting. If you feel the need to add your own feelings to the regulations, you are no different than a gossipy old lady talking shit to everyone who walk down her street. On another note, many criminals use modern electronics to record their crimes. I appreciate lawbreakers being idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    The followers are strong in many threads here lately. 6 hrs is there for a reason. Same as non-scheduled flights; must wait 6hrs before hunting. If you feel the need to add your own feelings to the regulations, you are no different than a gossipy old lady talking shit to everyone who walk down her street. On another note, many criminals use modern electronics to record their crimes. I appreciate lawbreakers being idiots.

Direct Copy and Paste from page 15 of the 2020-2022 Hunting Synopsis. Rules 31-33 are new as of this Synopsis.

IT’S UNLAWFUL

30. To hunt wildlife from an aircraft or within 6
    hours of being airborne in an aircraft other
    than a regularly scheduled commercial
    aircraft.

31. To hunt using information on the
    location of wildlife that is obtained by
    means of an aircraft.

32. To share or assist in sharing, information on the location of wildlife that
    is obtained by means of an aircraft,
    and shared for the purpose of hunting
    wildlife.

33. To operate, possess or use information
    that a drone obtains during a hunting
    expedition, or less than 6 hours before
    the start of a hunting or trapping
    expedition.

The rules are pretty simple, but not perfect. As with most things, we should probably use common sense.

Can you look at footage from someone who is not part of your hunting expedition that you meet while on it, if that footage was taken 6 hours in advance of your departure?
    I am fairly confident in saying yes to this but would still check with the CO's in advance if it was something I was into in the first place.

I'm interested to see what changes are made, if any, up North pertaining to rules 31-32, hunting with aircraft.
    These rules seem like they should have been in place all along but they're better late than never. While fully supportive of them, I don't see how they can reasonably be enforced.
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

It seems that some here are looking for a loophole that is not there.

"31. To hunt using information on the
    means of an aircraft.

wildlife.

expedition,
    "

The "six hour rule" does not negate the illegality of hunting with information obtained by using an aircraft or a drone.
    This applies to information obtained personally or by someone else.

That 6+ hour "old" information is still illegal to use for the purpose of hunting.

And yes, people have been convicted for using this type off "Old" information.

Quote Originally Posted by pg83 View Post
    Direct Copy and Paste from page 15 of the 2020-2022 Hunting Synopsis. Rules 31-33 are new as of this Synopsis.

IT’S UNLAWFUL

30. To hunt wildlife from an aircraft or within 6
    hours of being airborne in an aircraft other
    than a regularly scheduled commercial
    aircraft.

31. To hunt using information on the
    means of an aircraft.

wildlife.

expedition.

The rules are pretty simple, but not perfect. As with most things, we should probably use common sense.

Can you look at footage from someone who is not part of your hunting expedition that you meet while on it, if that footage was taken 6 hours in advance of your departure?
    I am fairly confident in saying yes to this but would still check with the CO's in advance if it was something I was into in the first place.

I'm interested to see what changes are made, if any, up North pertaining to rules 31-32, hunting with aircraft.
    These rules seem like they should have been in place all along but they're better late than never. While fully supportive of them, I don't see how they can reasonably be enforced.
    From a Transport Canada regulations point of view, they aren't called "drones" - they are "Remotely Piloted Aircraft." The last word is there for a reason and it's the important one.

Interesting....I'm not for the use of drones for hunting or for the use of human operated aircraft for the purposes of scouting from the point of view of a guide outfitter. But the way I read rule 33) "to operate" COMMA (there is the separation) and then it begins again with "possessing or using INFORMATION" obtained..... I don't see where being in possession of a drone is the offense here. If it was an offense to have it in your possession then there should have been another COMMA after the word "possessing" or the whole thing could have just been reworded so that there is no confusion. To operate, be in possession of a drone(s), and possess or use information
    expedition.
    Last edited by leftfield; 12-04-2020 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    It seems that some here are looking for a loophole that is not there.

"31. To hunt using information on the
    means of an aircraft.

wildlife.

expedition,
    "

The "six hour rule" does not negate the illegality of hunting with information obtained by using an aircraft or a drone.
    This applies to information obtained personally or by someone else.

That 6+ hour "old" information is still illegal to use for the purpose of hunting.

And yes, people have been convicted for using this type off "Old" information.
    I'd love to know more about this if you have the information available.
    I don't read anywhere in that rule that says you can't use information obtained from a drone if it was done prior to 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition, but I'm no lawyer!
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member