Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

Re: Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

Straight out of the regulations.

Hunt & Hunting - includes shooting at, attracting, SEARCHING FOR, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of those things, WHETHER OR NOTthe wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured: (a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or (b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

It is unlawful to:
    33. To operate, POSSESS or use information that a drone obtains during, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition.

I guess rule 33 could be interpreted as possesion of the drone, or possession of the information. Like the difference between helping your buddy, Jack, off a horse...
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    There is a lot of stuff that goes on that is "not hunting"...example, baiting deer, elk and moose. Also using trail cams to pin point time and place instead of using your feet and eyes, I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference. People are using technology more and more, range finders, wind gages to help you shoot at greater distances. Soon they will be putting GPS tracking devices on Bo Winkle's neck to help bag yer critter!!!
    I don't like the idea of wireless trail cameras but other than that, it's not the same as using a drone, as a drone can help you pinpoint game from above and at the time you are out in the field, whereas a regular T cam or bait may tell you times they are coming out but rarely are the times actually consistent, day to day...

Guess he wasn't native. Otherwise the commies would have called it traditional hunting methods. Just like a 30/06, million candle power jack light and snowmobile. What a crock of shit.

Filming a hunting show doesn't happen in isolation. There's an entire crew present and if the producer and camera crew isn't sharing information with the show star then it's all good. If the producer has their little legal ducks in a row a CO would have difficulty proving there's any sharing happening. "Directing", yes. "Sharing", no.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

I am all for Fair chase hunting but it seems to me, A that this Rule (no Drones while hunting) has been poorly written and B this Guy had a incompetent Lawyer.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Love it , got what they deserve. "Oh I was just looking for trails" ....................sure you were.

Love Hunting, love flying my drone. Never do them on the same trip.

As mentioned above, the regs are pretty clear and while it may be slightly inconvenient to drone enthusiasts who also happen to be hunters, it's a totally legitimate regulation. "I didn't know" is not acceptable as an argument, regardless of whether or not a person has any drone footage in their possession.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

The guide outfitters have been using airplanes forever to search for game ..They too should be stopped ..As far as drones for hunting Im against it ..Fair chase ..Dennis

Drones and trail cams.Same difference.If you are not there you are not hunting.

On our moose hunt in 7-35, I stopped to chat with some local gas workers that were doing some large scale terracing of a slope. Really nice folks. One of the crew offers to show me some drone footage of a very very large bear that has been interfering with some of their work about 6 hundred yards downslope from where we were standing. As we looked at the video and are pointing down toward the area... yep... the big ******* strolls out and starts munching his way into view. It was very tempting to put a stalk on him... I really badly want a big rug for the man cave.

They asked if I had a bear tag and would I be interested in removing him. Although I also wanted to do them the favour of removing the bear, I politely declined. Mostly because I didn't want to take the time away from locating a moose. But also because I had just watched the video.

Incidentally, he also had footage from several days previous of a couple bulls nearby. These I declined to even look at...
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius