Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Man fined for useing a drone for hunting

Guess he got what he deserved, that's not hunting!

There is a lot of stuff that goes on that is "not hunting"...example, baiting deer, elk and moose. Also using trail cams to pin point time and place instead of using your feet and eyes, I don't think there is a heck of a lot of difference. People are using technology more and more, range finders, wind gages to help you shoot at greater distances. Soon they will be putting GPS tracking devices on Bo Winkle's neck to help bag yer critter!!!

I wonder how the hunting shows get away with filming their hunts with drones?

im all for not being allowed to use a drone for hunting but just having one in your vehicle while hunting seems a little much. He must have had some incriminating evidence on his camera roll.

if I had a cell phone trail cam in my truck while hunting is that considered using one?
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

The Casatnet article says the CO's determined he used the drone for hunting. Filming your cabin is one thing, using it for hunting is another.

"The outcome stems from a complaint conservation officers received on Sept. 22, 2018. The next day, officers attended a cabin on Marie Lake, southwest of Fort St. James, where they seized the drone along with a harvested bull moose. After securing a search warrant, they gathered photos and videos showing he had been using the drone to hunt."
    https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-317829-3-.htm#317829

[QUOTE=Brew;

if I had a cell phone trail cam in my truck while hunting is that considered using one?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I think it could be based on the above news article.

As far as I read in the regulations it states you can't use a drone for hunting, it doesn't say that you can't have one in your possession. Also, at what point am I hunting? When I'm in the woods? Whether I'm in possession of a firearm or not? It sounds like it could be a slippery slope akin to the police handing out fines for using your cellphone while driving just because you have one in your car.

[QUOTE=Brew;2213624]I wonder how the hunting shows get away with filming their hunts with drones?

I have called out a few guys on YouTube over this too. Literally filming their camp and then flying over the mountains nearby. Or using the drone filming them hiking a ridge. You wanna tell me you’re just getting shots for your YouTube channel with 40 subscribers? Then you happen to see a big buck/bull during the flight and you want me to believe you wouldn't go after it? Not a chance haha. I reckon nobody should have a drone while on a hunting trip, period
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    As far as I read in the regulations it states you can't use a drone for hunting, it doesn't say that you can't have one in your possession. Also, at what point am I hunting?
    33. To operate, possess or use information that a drone obtains during a hunting expedition, or less than 6 hours before the start of a hunting or trapping expedition

Ergo: you can fly the drone before sunset, process the information and go out at legal first light. (Some conditions apply)