Thread: Kuiu vs. Mystery Ranch: Frame Pack with Multiple Bags

Kuiu vs. Mystery Ranch: Frame Pack with Multiple Bags

I'm looking for a frame pack system with multiple bag options, so something in the 1850-2200ci (~30-40L) size as well as a 5000-6000ci (~80L) that can fit on the same frame. I do a lot of hike-in day hunts, so having something with a frame for meat packing seems essential.
    Seems like either the Kuiu Pro LT or the Mystery Ranch Guide Light frames offer some good options at roughly similar price points.

Questions:
    1) What do people use for their current set up (day bag and multi-day bag that can fit on the same frame)?
    2) Any major pros/cons for Kuiu vs. Mystery Ranch (or any other brands)?

Thanks!

*Edit: Just saw theres another thread very similar to this one recently, sorry for doubling up. Feel free to delete.
    Last edited by WetLeopard; 11-30-2020 at 10:25 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Kuiu vs. Mystery Ranch: Frame Pack with Multiple Bags

I use MR Crewcab/marshall bags on the newer guide light frame, nothing against the other brands MR just fits me best, Ive owned Kuiu, EXO man gear and Stone Glacier , they all are awesome comparatively, really cant go wrong with any of them, just have to see which one fits you best and has the best layout for your needs.
    The bags/frames nowadays usually have a load shelf and lots of compression straps so quite possible to get away with one bag for all your needs.

Kuiu- Pros- an extremely light setup and can switch between bag sizes, cons- some complaints about not the toughest of frames and bags- to many dam buckles you need to be a lawyer to use them at times, built for skinny or athletic builds on people, no good for chubby guys like me.

EXO Mountain Gear- lightweight and lots of bag choices, very comfortable no complaints

Stone Glacier- lightweight and lots of bag choices, very comfortable no complaints

MR Guidelight- my favourite just because the frame fits me so well, heaviest of the four packs I mentioned but I think the toughest also, I like the layout of the bags I use as both the crew cab (daypack) and Marshall (6500) have long side pockets for my spotting scope and tripod.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I loved my mr nice 6500, but sold it since It was just a little too short for comfort.
    I since bought a kuiu pro 7800. Love the bag, but it’s a tad on the floppy side when I’m doing a day hike with it.
    I was going to buy a smaller bag, a 2300 for day hikes but since my top lid of my kuiu was stolen with all my expensive day gear. I’m gonna replace gps, and Delorme before a spend money on a new bag

I have owned the Kuiu setup for years. It's a great system. Very light and I have found it quite durable. They had issues with the first generation but if you get the Icon Pro or newer you are good to go.

I ran the 3600 bag as a day bag since I usually bring alot of gear and I found the 1800 too small. I then ran the 7200 for mulit day trecks. I really liked the layout and organization of the bags and the simplicity of the frame. I never had issues with the frame and found it quite solid. It only takes minutes to swap the bags.

I am considering throwing the whole package up to sell. I couldn't resist a deal on the new Exo 6400 and I enjoy trying out new gear so...

Send me a PM if you are interested.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

https://youtu.be/vvK-zoFmLiA i found this video interesting

Whats the benefit of buying two bags when a big can compress down to nothing? IMO your better off spending more money on a better bigger frame/bag than spending the same amount on two bags and one frame.

Appreciate the responses everyone. Allan, sorry to hear about the theft, that's a tough loss.

I do like that the Mystery Ranch bags are quite widely available and I can try one out at Italian Sporting Goods next time I'm there. I currently have a NICE 6500 as well, even when fully compressed though it can still be a bit floppy. Just feels like a bag that really prefers to be "full" when using. Selling it to a friend though to help finance this current venture.

Whitlers, sent you a PM.

If you're willing to fork out some more coin for a bag, I like Stone Glacier. I have the 7900, it's big (130L) but compresses down into a day pack easily, it's light (roughly 5lbs) and it looks good.

I have kuiu and my hunting partner has mystery ranch. I run a 3000 as a day pack and have a 7000 ultra for pack trips. I love the low weight. I have packed lots of meat with the 3000.

The advantages of the kuiu is much lighter as a day pack. The MR is way burlier. When packing meat my friends MR won. Especially packing a rack where it was stiffer and easier to attach.

I just bought the Kuiu load hauler and I think it will be an improvement for hauling racks over the frame plus 3000 bag.

I also have a Tatonka that is amazing hauling big quarters.....

My take is KUIU is still better if you care about weight. When I’m in the bush for a long day I want to keep pack weight reasonable so this combination works for me.

I run a kuiu set up as well with a couple different bag size. For me they have performed well. Nice and light and are very stable for me when loaded up with a critter. Like the layout and the external and internal strapping options.