Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Messengers, inreach, etc

Messengers, inreach, etc

Had a long walk out of the bush tonight, and would really like to have been able to let my wife know "Hey, I'm totally screwed, but also totally ok, gonna be home late."

Seems to me the best way to avoid needing to send that sort of message, would be to have the ability!

So...I know there's options, who's using what?
    What does it cost?
    How is the cost structured?
    How dependable is it?
    Any other pertinent info is welcome too!
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Messengers, inreach, etc

I use a garmin inreach explorer. Easy to use and I think I only pay about $22 a month. I think my first 10 texts a month are included. Can be put on hold for a few bucks a month.

The gps map has very low detail, but would give someone a general idea of where they're located. Decent unit for setting waypoints. Seems to always be able to find a satellite.

Has the sos button if I truly need help.
    Last edited by IslandWanderer; 11-29-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Also have the inreach explorer ... $16.75 per month that includes unlimited preset messages and 10 text messages as well as automatic send out to search and rescue if you use the SOS

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Also have the inreach explorer ... $16.75 per month that includes unlimited preset messages and 10 text messages as well as automatic send out to search and rescue if you use the SOS
    Same here, that is probably the cheapest option,
    Safety Plan
    https://discover.garmin.com/en-CA/inreach/personal/

Got my Garmin inReach Explorer + on sale for $529 (I can see now the same deal in Cabelas and several other places).

You can suspend your subscription to InReach for the months you aren’t using it. I think it’s about $4/ month then. It’s a great unit. Links to your phone and you can send and receive texts. I use it for work and hunting. Great piece of mind knowing you can text people and know they won’t make the call that you are missing when you are in the process of packing an animal out late.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    This ^ I keep mine active all year because I am usually out doing something stupid without service atleast once a month.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I don't personally own one but from what I've read inreach seems to be the go to.

Does anyone use the spot X?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Does anyone use the spot X?
    I owned it for a little while in 2018. I returned it because it was unreliable. Taking too long to send texts or sometimes not sending at all.

I picked up an inReach mini and it has been great.

I would just get a ZOLEO now. They werent available in 2018, but they are a cool unit. No gps, only messages, but the device is much cheaper. I think it's under $300. Plans are comparable to inreach.

I have a Garmin inreach SE. paired with my cell. My need for bigger font seems to be an issue these days .It works well.
    Peace of mind is worth a whole lot to me, it might save your or someone else's life one day.