Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Messengers, inreach, etc

Re: Messengers, inreach, etc

The Garmin Inreach Explorer works great. When going out in the bush, just start it up , send an e-mail to yourself at home or to friends and they will know your whereabouts in real time, we have ours set up for 10 minute 'pings' and the battery lasts a full day ~24 hours a long with pre composed messages if you are going to be late or whatever.

Also, got one for the kids (adults) for xmas as they roam the bush a lot.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

Another vote for the InReach (I have the mini). I really only use it for the messaging feature and it's worked perfectly thus far.
    Been lots of sales lately which makes me think they may have a new model coming out, but other than some navigation features I don't know what else you would want to add.
    Messages can take a little while to send/receive, but I've never had an issue with one not going through.

I use the Garmin inReach 66i, which is a full featured GPS w/ inReach capability.

I would get a Zoleo if I was looking for a satellite messenger only. Pretty damn affordable
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I got a brand new inreach explorer for sale $450. Used only few times.
    sheep hunting is easy

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I use a garmin inreach explorer. Easy to use and I think I only pay about $22 a month. I think my first 10 texts a month are included. Can be put on hold for a few bucks a month.

The gps map has very low detail, but would give someone a general idea of where they're located. Decent unit for setting waypoints. Seems to always be able to find a satellite.

Has the sos button if I truly need help.
    If I remember correctly, weren't you the guy who got locked behind a gate, how did it work for you then

I got a Garmin Inreach Explorer + in September and had a satellite subscription for it from sept. 20 to Nov. 20, then put it on "suspend." My last invoice showed no charge for suspension of service.

It was great. I have three presets; 1. Got here fine; 2. Everything is okay; and 3. I'm staying longer.

Gives my wife a lot of peace of mind knowing that I have got to where I'm going and that things are fine. Plus there is always the SOS button if I fall and break a leg or suffer some other calamity.

Also, I was careful and used the 10 texts permitted in my plan only when necessary.

In October my buddy and me went to different locations in Region 8 but by the end of the first day he decided to join me and came and found me where I'd told him I'd be. I texted my wife and told her he'd joined me. She was delighted with that and phoned his wife and told her the news. Then his wife asked her to text me that he had an urgent work message, so we was able to drive over to where we had cell service.

One thing I noticed was that when my wife tried to text me on my first trip in early October and I didn't get the message until I was back home. Looking in the quick start manual I saw that the device only checks once or twice a day for messages, but if you use the "search now" function it'll check your messages right away.

Also, even if you are not on a satellite subscription you can still use the device as a GPS. It is not the most sophisticated GPS on the market, but it has a basic topo map, and you can set waypoints and track and navigate.

I'm usually a very parsimonious guy, but I was glad I spent the $600 some-odd on the unit.

I've had the Garmin InReach SE for over 3 yrs paired with my phone for mapping and easy texting, address books. I use GAIA on the phone for my GPS. If buying today I'd get a Garmin InReach Mini....half the size of the SE or Eplorer, shorter battery life but not an issue in my mind as its still 50 hrs vs 100. I do shut of the IR between checks...say 3 times per day in the morning, noon and night typically. I can go 15 days without recharging and have plenty of battery remaining for any emergency that would come up...but carry a charge pack for the phone anyway, which consumes 5X the battery power as my IR. I usually boost my subscription up to Unlimited Texting when on a Northern remote hunt and knock it back to the most basic plan other times of the year. My plan allows 12 changes per year. Note that you only pay for a better plan for the DAYS you have subscribed to it, not for month long periods...ie I was up north for 21 days this year so enhanced the plan for the 21 of the 30 day billing period and paid the prorated $ of the higher priced plan.

My old Spot Messenger II has sat in the drawer since I got the IR. Would never go back to it, nor to a Sat phone. All the Northern air services (bush planes) I've flown with since 2017 are using IRs, as are the guides I talk to.

Has anyone else noted messaging is faster etc. with the unlimited plan. Couple of guys on northern hunts have said when side by side and all else been equal the units with unlimited plans sent and received faster.

I tried out the Voleo on my last hunt. Had no issues with it. Normally use an inreach but the two as far as messaging go are pretty much same same

I just bought a Garmin 66i. Cabela's had it for $130 off. Decided to wait on the inReach explorer because I wanted to have better navigation ability over what the inreach had to offer (based on reviews and research). But NOT the cheapest option that's for sure. But since it just arrived yesterday afternoon, haven't tried it out at all