Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Messengers, inreach, etc

Re: Messengers, inreach, etc

I have the spot x and it has saved me a few times .. I drive a logging truck for a living and there's been a few times i've been broke down 80 kms in the bush and have been able to get help coming my way quickly. one time blown steering tire ,one time blown drive line , one time a blew a rad hose , and other times for other truckers been able to get help for them as well , of course this always seem to happen 1:00 - 2:00 in the morning.. lol
    its always worked for me weather for work or when iam up north hunting.. i pay for the year at a time and i think its around $140 and if you go over your limit its 25 cents a text.. although i have heard good things about inreach i can only tell about my experience with spot x and so far its been good

I will be getting a zoleo. It sends and receives messages faster than all the others from the research of done. You get a dedicated number and email and the user interface is super easy

Holy technology Batman, I still use a signal fire and my coat to send messages, maybe that's why I never get rescued

I had the DeLorme In Reach Explorer , Garmin In Reach Explorer Plus, GPS MAP 66i, but love my new Garmin Montana 750i, it is on bit pricey side but it has In reach, GPS, Camera, ability to add Back road maps to it ands no need to connect to the phone as it has nice big touch screen.
    Where I walk, everything appears in grey...Loosen all hope, you who confronts me!

Can someone breakdown what they actually pay for the Garmin service?
    according to the website it’s a 30 buck activation and then the basic plan is $20/month.
    It says there is no charge to suspend it on a month to month basis.
    yet I'm hearing guys are getting charged to suspend.
    And do you pay that activation charge every year or just a one time thing?

Is it free to suspend but then you have to pay something again to re-activate? Or I’m I missing something.

I leave mine active all year and it's the basic plan for something like $16 and cents a month on my visa.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgehunter604 View Post
    Can someone breakdown what they actually pay for the Garmin service?
    according to the website it’s a 30 buck activation and then the basic plan is $20/month.
    It says there is no charge to suspend it on a month to month basis.
    yet I'm hearing guys are getting charged to suspend.
    And do you pay that activation charge every year or just a one time thing?

Is it free to suspend but then you have to pay something again to re-activate? Or I’m I missing something.
    This depends if you go for the annual (yearly) plan, or the monthly plan where you can activate or deactivate the device as needed.

The annual plan you pay $15 per month whereas the monthly plan is $20, the big catcha is the $49.95 annual fee you will pay every year for the monthly plan!
    Big advantage of the monthly plan is you only pay when you use it, but you still have to fork out $49.95 every year.

The annual plan you pay the one time activation charge of $24.95, then the monthly fee of $15 and that's it, no more annual fees!

If you only go camping in the boonies 6 or less times per year, then the Monthly plan might be best suited for your needs.
    If you go camping in the boonies 7 or more times per year, then I think the Yearly plan may be better, cost wise and also less hassle of having to Activate and test the device every time you head out!

Then again, you should always ensure the device is working no matter which plan you choose.