Thread: 30 days of rut on trail cam

30 days of rut on trail cam

Just retrieved my camera from up high, was a mission to get it with the snow at 1500m Region 3. I left it up there from October 31 to today to see how long the deer stay moving up high (bottom of the alpine) before they get pushed out by the snow and see how they are moving during the rut. 100 photos set on double capture so two every trigger, highly recommend that setting. 40 or so deer photos, 12 different bucks, only one 4x and it wasn't that big, the bucks I was looking for eluded me. Every single buck photo except for one buck (twice in one day during daylight, heading down then up the trail) was moving at night. Where it was had clear sky, mild calm weather, full moon early November so that contributes to the night time movement. A majority of the deer I saw up there while hunting were bedded during the day and saw doe movement during the evenings, bucks stayed bedded until dark. The first half of November had more movement from bucks then the last bit of the month the deer were pushed into the lower timber to get out of the snow after the rut wound down. All in all, pretty much what I expected to find but the big boys stayed hidden. I know the really big boys stay up high all winter and hunker down but a good portion of the deer do move down into the big timber where the snow levels are lower, Im still seeing deer moving and Ill be out predator hunting through the winter to keep an eye on them and scout out some new areas bellow the snow line and see what the winter areas hold deer wise.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 30 days of rut on trail cam

Very interesting info, thanks for sharing, looking forward to the pics...were they all mule deer photos or were you seeing whitetails up high as well? I have, contrary to popular belief seen whitetails in the alpine meadows...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing,,,, I messed up and pulled my cameras after I filled my tag, I should have left them in my spot for the entire rut as all the pictures of the big bucks I had up till Nov 01 were in the dark, except 1. Next year they will be up from June till Dec so I can see how they move during the rut as well, even if I have to snowshoe in to get them.

XPEIER

Good on you for wanting to keep your game cam's up in the high elevation late, it should be quite informative. I'v hunted high elevation late into the season, mid Nov. and have found dropped antlers at around 6200 ft. Those alpine and semi- alpine deer don't leave unless they have too.