Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

Re: Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

My bed will be a fold down table like most campers have with end storage. But able to move it around or take it out to use the full cargo space. The other guys will have to bring there own bed.

Last edited by MRP; 11-29-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Nice job, I like it! ^^^
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I've been noodling this for a long time. I would insulate really well and add a coolbot system so that it could be turned into a cooler for the early season... generator sits on the frame triangle at front of trailer. One of our boys partitioned-off the front 1/3 of the trailer with an insulated wall just behind the side door, reinforced the roof and installed a track system with meat hooks for hanging game. Also put a small freezer in it too so no need to head back early to get to the butcher or to by ice! You could do the same and kit out the back section for gear, bed, whatever. Personally I'd rather take an 8x10 wall tent to set up as a kitchen and eating area. Post some pics of your build!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Looking forward to a few ideas as well.

Picked up a 6x12 at Cummings recently. Ordered it with insulation. Primary use will be to haul the RZR, but want to be able to use it for "unexpected" overnight trips as well as extra accommodations for others when I have my little camper on the truck.

I had some track installed to set up a table in the front and a bed in the back (removable). Likely won't be installing a stove for heat, although giving it some thought. Might just get a little Buddy heater. Propane stove on the front table for morning coffee.

Trying to keep it simple but ya know, with all the good ideas out there who knows what it will turn into!

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Looking forward to a few ideas as well.

Picked up a 6x12 at Cummings recently. Ordered it with insulation. Primary use will be to haul the RZR, but want to be able to use it for "unexpected" overnight trips as well as extra accommodations for others when I have my little camper on the truck.

I had some track installed to set up a table in the front and a bed in the back (removable). Likely won't be installing a stove for heat, although giving it some thought. Might just get a little Buddy heater. Propane stove on the front table for morning coffee.

Trying to keep it simple but ya know, with all the good ideas out there who knows what it will turn into!
    Just a heads up about the insulation on the trailers a Cummings (not Cummings fault, the manufacturer installs it) the manufacturer does a crappy job. I had to pull all the plywood and redo it myself.

woah, that's some poor workmanship on that "insulated" trailer ^^^^

I'd consider rigid foam for your walls rather than spray foam. If you ever want to add wiring or anything like that in the future it would be difficult with the spray foam. Maybe spray foam the ceiling and under the floor, but not the walls. I used rigid for everything, no spray foam.
    I put a 3' lift on my Torsion axles. Makes a big difference on rough roads, deactivations and such.
    As mentioned by others, install a lot of hooks, you will use them.
    I picked up some used overhead cabinets and ran them the length of the trailer on one side. They hold a lot and are out of the way.
    I went the diesel heater route rather than wood stove. Wood is nice, but it's a mess and requires significant clearance. Once you see a diesel heater running you'll see why they are becoming so popular. Dickinson heaters are good, but a little pricey for me when I built the trailer.
    I made a small nook that folds down into a double bed like a camper. If anyone else stays in the trailer, they use cots.
    Also installed 2-100W solar panels and controller along with some LED light strips. keeps me off grid 100% of the time.

Have fun with your project.

I can’t believe they call that insulation. I have been eyeballing their trailers but not if that’s what they mean by insulated.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Mine was sprayed insulation with plywood paneling. I sprayed the whole interior with bed liner

Mine was sprayed insulation with plywood paneling. I sprayed the whole interior with bed liner before I started adding lockers and bunks

Quote Originally Posted by bcsteve View Post
    Just a heads up about the insulation on the trailers a Cummings (not Cummings fault, the manufacturer installs it) the manufacturer does a crappy job. I had to pull all the plywood and redo it myself.

Holy f***!!!

That brings back memories of my Keystone (Hobbi) toyhauler from years ago.

Jeezes, now I want to pull off at least one sheet of plywood just to have a look.

What made you check it??

(Thanks for the heads up btw....)

M.