Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

Hey guys hope everyone is well. Just picked up a 16ft out back cargo trailer that I am going to camperize. I have a good idea of the lay out I want already but it would be nice to see and here other ideas out there before I get into it. Plans as of now are spray insulation on roof and walls, 1” sub floor with rigid foam floor. Diesel heater, Kitchen up front and fold down beds in the back. Just wondering how you guys that have them went about yours. Cheers Chris

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

I kept an open floor plan. Kitchen is a folding table. Moves around as needed for different set ups. Cots work the same way. Buy tons of wall hooks. Can never have too many to hang gear. Buy stainless drying rack type shelves and place them high and out of the way. Great for drying gloves hats etc. Espar/webasto type diesel heater is awesome.

I put a 18" hippy killer in mine, definitely don't need insulation. Bunk is across the width 69" long x 54"wide and easily removed and put on floor so I can park the quad on top of it, installed two 12"x18" windows that slide. Use a lifetimer table from costco, one on the inside and one on the outside. And as mentioned, lots of hooks and loops to hang stuff and dry clothes. Real simple, warm - dry, also use the wood stove for cooking and a small propane stove for flashing the coffee up in the am.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I put wood stove out the front end wall. Clips on and off in a couple of minutes. And a cap to go over the whole when travelling. Mounted the box underneath the trailer to put the chimney in. I like wood heat.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Make sure you have decent ventilation with the stoves going and things drying,
    Yes gotta love wood heat but didn't want to do that in my works trailer.
    Found a small DSI forced air furnace from a camper, screwed down up front, hole in floor for small gas line, tank outside, 12 volt power source, thermostat an all, could pull it all out in 2 minutes, worked great in a 8 X 16 overheight model.

If I was to ever entertain building one I’d contact Hunterguy on here and go check out the Moose is Loose Lodge! If you search on here you’ll probably find some old threads! K

Installed Dickinson diesel heater, nice to have dry heat when cold out. 6 x 12 with bunks, 2" in floors and 1"in walls. Few windows. Fresh air intake critical and emergency hatch in my opinion. Smoke detector and Co monitor included.

Awning on outside for a clean dry place to park quad at night, hang wet clothes to drip dry, outside eating area and a place to get out of muddy boots/gear.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Hunterguy here and no problem with any help towards your project. Had another great season in the Lodge. Added a dexter independent suspension kit on the Lodge. Travelled 40 K on a fsr. and 5 hours through the canyon with a 22 quart pot full of water left on the cooking stove and never spilt a drop. Dumb asses. Lol.

I built one- 15’ tandem V nose.Two windows,awning and RV door ordered from the factory( cheaper) . Couple of school lockers and an overhead.Kitchen In the V nose(used a fridge and a stove from my camper) Dickinson propane marine heater in the front , fold down bunk one side,two bunks on the other side and two lift out cross the back.Quad drives in the back with hold downs.Battery and LED lighting .Everything just fits.Sleeps 4 or 5,depending on whether or not we take the quad.Its very comfortable.Mostly we cook and eat outside ,and just use the trailer for sleeping. I had wanted to purchase a piece of property and put a cabin on it but capital cost and fears of vandalism decided a trailer that I can take home was a better option.A big wall tent would be roomier,but it’s sure nice to just park and climb in for the night in transit.We do take a portable tarp garage for inclimate weather.

about the only thing I might have done difently would be to get a 20’ model for a bit more room ,install a small zero clearance wall mounted wood stove and utilize the quad space to sit around when it’s out.Cargo trailers are ideal for hunting trailers because they are utilitarian and you can customize them to suit your own needs and have a lot of fun doing it in the off season
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-30-2020 at 08:18 AM.