Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

Re: Cargo trailer camper conversion ideas?

Sorry, don't want to take away from the OP's thread.

Will send you a pm bcsteve....

I have a 20' that I use, although it isn't really converted. I bought a wood stove from Home Hardware that sits in the middle and vents out the top vent. Folding tables and cots that go wherever there is room, usually according to how many people. Three is ideal, four is a bit cramped but still room for cots and everybody gets a chair around the fire. if it is just me I don't even need to pull the Rhino out.

I haven't used it in bitter cold but down to -5 it is very comfortable without insulation. Gets warm quickly after a hunt or in the morning and it doesn't bother me if it gets really cold at night because I have a good bag and prefer to sleep in a cold room anyway.

I haven't installed windows yet, we leave the back door cracked a few inches and the side door is always slightly open too.

LED lights hooked up to one of those portable jump batteries-- recharge it in the truck every few days. Jet boil for coffee in the morning, breakfast sandwiches heated up on top of the stove and main meals either cooked and eaten under the exterior awning or a totally separate pop up tent.

I really like the simplicity but we will start to fancy it up pretty soon. Windows, a couple bunks, additional space at the rear may be achieve by lowering the door to flat then assembling some insulated walls and a roof, sort of like a pop-out.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

All great stuff here guys. Keep it coming.

Guys just a heads up to your cargo trailer conversions. Always keep an eye on your shackles which hold your springs. Check the welds after every trip. The factory trailers and the welds are not made for off road. Had a problem with the Lodge welds which was a heads up from when I had the bearings serviced. Brought it to my attention and had everything welded to pretty much overkill. Nothing like loosing an axle on a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterguy View Post
    Guys just a heads up to your cargo trailer conversions. Always keep an eye on your shackles which hold your springs. Check the welds after every trip. The factory trailers and the welds are not made for off road. Had a problem with the Lodge welds which was a heads up from when I had the bearings serviced. Brought it to my attention and had everything welded to pretty much overkill. Nothing like loosing an axle on a trip.
    Good advice Hunterguy! I'll be checking mine for sure. Had a similar problem with an "off-road" tent trailer years ago.

I run a 14" barndoor. Don't have the heart to cut holes in it so I just added to the back.

Fast to set up, takes under 20min to have it up with the stove lit.
    I didn't bother insulating, but have a way bigger stove than in the picture with the stove. Same one, just bigger.
    I have one of those magnet screen door things stapled around the man door.
    The roof not over the stove is lexan, so it's like a big skylight.
    I always just go in and out of the back thru the tarp.
    Have another tent thing I set up on the side if needed. Would love an rv awning but they are big $.

Might sell it and buy a 16' so I can haul 3 atvs inside it. My 2 boys are getting bigger and want their own ride now.

Last edited by Drillbit; 12-08-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Drillbit. That’s a neat idea ! I think a window for fresh air circulation would be good but as you said you don’t want to cut holes in your trailer !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Ya, thanks!

It works good. I just leave the man door open a bit and with the magnet screen it keeps the bugs out.

I would like to put a couple tinted sliders in with screens but haven't bothered, probably won't ever bother haha.

Didn't want to cut a hole in the roof either. My toyhauler vents (fantastic fans I think?) always wiggled open on the highway.

Drillbit keep u eyes open and things come along. I lucked out at the auto-wreckers, got 5 rv windows and a 16' awning for $500. Awning needed minor TCL, I had to shorten it by 6", all ya need is a hacksaw and sowing machine. Took about 30min. I gather the bottle by the bed is fire starter?
    Last edited by MRP; 12-09-2020 at 07:24 AM.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Drillbit keep u eyes open and things come along. I lucked out at the auto-wreckers, got 5 rv windows and a 16' awning for $500. Awning needed minor TCL, I had to shorten it by 6", all ya need is a hacksaw and sowing machine. Took about 30min. I gather the bottle by the bed is fire starter?
    Ya, that's a pretty good deal.

Yep, that was the first set up test. Propane torch and box of kindling for lighting the stove. Ended up getting a way bigger stove. That one was like having a baby, had to feed it every 2 hours...
    I sit the stove on an old road sign too now.