Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Swcond hand rifles on Huntingbc.ca

Purchasing Swcond hand rifles on Huntingbc.ca

Hey everyone,

thinking of purchasing my first rifle second hand from this website. Does anyone have any tips or rules/suggestions to go by so I have the best experience and don’t buy a lemon?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Purchasing Swcond hand rifles on Huntingbc.ca

Like buying any used item online. Look for feedback on the seller, see how long they've been a member and call them.

You could always make a post asking if anyone has had any negative dealings with the member. Wouldnt hurt my feelings as a seller if you did this.

In the end, you are buying something used unseen so you are ultimately rolling the dice
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-28-2020 at 09:09 AM.

I’ve bought almost all of my gear used, including around 20 rifles and have never had a bad experience. As Ron said, look for feedback on the seller. There is a “good/bad guy” list on this site. I do not buy from people who have just joined or people who have few posts outside the buy sell section.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Ask if they have a Gun nutz account where there is a trader rating. Ive bought many used rifles off of CGN and HBC, as well as the pgfs250 site on MeWe. Open communication, and a phone call go a long ways to feeling comfortable with the deal. If they won’t send more pics, or text you, or call, then I won’t deal with the individual. Ultimately though it is buyer be ware!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Thumbs up Re: Purchasing Swcond hand rifles on Huntingbc.ca

Gunutz with ratings.

thanks for the response guys.... any specific questions I should be asking?

Any specific caliber you’re looking for? Open communication is huge and in person deals are best.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Any specific caliber you’re looking for? Open communication is huge and in person deals are best.
    X2 Can't beat an in person transaction if possible.

Have bought and sold some equipment on HBC I agree mostly with Ron C's statement a lot.
    1) Do they have a rating on good HBC
    2) how long have they been a member
    3) how many post on HBC? Though I use this, I don't like it as until recently I had very few post myself.
    4) request a photo of the merchandise with a local paper showing the date. Got that from someone else and really liked it.
    5 how much money, there are ways to put funds in escrow, such as Canada Post collect on delivery, which as a seller I'm never doing again as I waited a month and a half for the funds. The point is you can do it.
    6) talk to them.
    7) Decided if this is an amount of money your willing to "gamble".

I thankfully haven't been scammed yet and have found some great savings in the used hunting equipment market.

I've also had some minor undisclosed issues with weak springs. One firing pin spring and one ejector. Was a little sour about those but such is the risk (cheap fixes over all)
    Last edited by Tred; 01-21-2021 at 12:19 PM.

All the above points are good to follow. But I always ask what’s the condition of the bore , errosion of the throat , pitting or corrosion in the bore ,round count. Pics of the bore if possible and of the bolt face. I’ve bought over 30 rifles off gunnutz members and have been burnt twice even after asking the questions. Both times they were members who had perfect trader ratings and and a high volume of transactions. Both times the pics of the outside of the rifles looked excellent but both the bores were in extremely poor condition. One was completely shot out and pitted, the other was corroded and pitted the whole length of the barrel. I would also steer away from the smaller bore high velocity calibers that can be hard on barrels.