Thread: Anyone here that hunts or traps wolves...?

Anyone here that hunts or traps wolves...?

With hunting season coming to an end on the 15th. I was wondering if anyone continues to go out and hunt or trap wolves? I want to get out more and LEARN about getting a wolf. If anyone is experienced in this field and wouldn’t mind me tagging along?
    im in north van a frequently travel up to Lillooet, I’d be willing to travel
    Member of CCFR

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone here that hunts or traps wolves...?

I hunt wolves as soon as there is enough snow to get around on a sled.
    Calling is what I enjoy the most.Dragging a road kill to a good location is a good way as well.
    I saw a number of wolves last winter but never got one.The year before I killed 4 and 1 big cougar.
    Lots of fun.

Which region are you doing this in xlcc? I'm looking at getting out as much as I can this winter to have a crack at some coyotes and wolves. Which calls do you find most efficient?

I was thinking about going up to 3-32 later this month, saw lots of wolf tracks in the area when I was hunting there.
    Last edited by MadMango; 12-02-2020 at 12:25 PM.

The north Thompson R. area and the upper Fraser R. are good and the side valleys.Down the Canoe valley .There are wolves all throughout BC.
    For calls I have been successful with typical coyote calls,deer in distress mouth blown calls.Practice with your voice doing wolf howls.A friend is very good with his voice calls.He also uses an electronic call with wolf howls.Wolves hate coyotes so not a bad idea to try coyote yips and howls.

I use a sled to cover ground on snowed in logging roads.When I find fresh sign or a kill site I will set up where I am hidden then wait a while then call.
    I have called wolves in when I have seen them running on a frozen lake or big meadow.Called as loud as I could to get their attention then wait till they are trying to figure out things then called softly.Their hearing is very good. They will try and circle down wind so set up where you can see down wind.They can be very bold and just come running.
    If you find fresh sign they could be laying down in the bush nearby.Start calling softly to begin.
    Last year a buddy and I were out and located fresh wolf sign.We set up right there and I started on a rabbit in distress.The snow was fresh and deep.Tough slugging,even for wolves.We didn't wait long enough.Only 45 min.We fired up and found their tracks on another logging road above us.Latter in the morning we were back where we first called and there were wolf tracks all around where we called.
    There is a saying"if you have patients you don't need patients but if you don't have patients,you need patients in the worst way"
    I think an hour is a decent try for a stand.They can hear a long ways off and it takes time for them to show up.

Awesome. Thanks for the help! I'm looking forward to getting out there