Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow for kids

Bow for kids

Hey All,
    looking to get a bow for my daughter(s) as they have been really wanting to get into it.
    it would be for my 9.5 yr old who is growing like a weed and will try her best to catch up to dad (6'2").
    Trad, recurve or compound?
    Side note i am hoping to get into bow hunting after taking too many animals with my xbow and want to step up my game. I would most likely go the route of compound for myself once i unload the xbow so was thinking something similar in look for the kid.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow for kids

Recurve is an excellent way to start, what I learned on and loved it. For compounds most brands have an entry level bow that allows for dramatic changes in draw length and poundage so they can be adjusted as your kids grow. Great to see kids getting into it.

Without a doubt the bowtech atomic or the next level up is a great bow to get kids into that will shoot accurate and allow them to hit bullseye �� more than not. Its a confidence builder to shoot well.

Marc at Chek-Mate makes custom bows for kids. I bought one a few years ago for a friend's little guy and just ordered one for my 4 year old grandson. He can do them around 10 pounds or upwards of 20 pounds.

Another great option is the Mathews NASP wheelie bow which is adjustable from 12 - 20 pounds and comes in L & R hand and a bunch of colours.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

My daughter has had a Diamond Infinite Edge since she was 10.
    5-70lbs and fully adjustable draw length.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

i still shoot the recurve i bought when i was 12 and so do my kids...i got my son one of those adjustable bears i can make it fit me...biggest problem is keeping uo on adjusting lol..

I have a mini genisis bow for my daughter. He’s had it since she was 6.

It basically shoots like a recurve and send an arrow fast enough to stick in a 3d target.

I've heard good things about the Diamond infinite edge its insanely adjustable so kids can grow into it well.

The biggest issue with many of the highly adjustable kids bows is weight of the bow. Depending on the kid, and especially ones at the younger end may find them too heavy to hold up. I’ve even had 8-10 year olds that found the Genesis to be too heavy until they got some strength built up and became used to it.

A Genesis or a lighter draw (15lbs +/- Max) recurve would be the first option, while something along the lines of an Atomic/Prism or similar would be another step up, while an Infinite Edge or equivalent is another notch up the curve.

Without knowing your daughter’s size, strength and drive towards archery, it is hard to give anything more specific than this. Best bet is to visit a good archery shop, get her to try picking bag up and holding (shooting is even better) some of the options and make the decision from there. Too much bow (too heavy to hold up) will discourage her, so you need to fit this to her needs. At this point simple and easy to shoot is the key to introducing her to archery and having her enjoy it. If she enjoys it now, she is more likely to stick with it. Good chance she will need simpler and easier to shoot now, with an upgrade a year or so down the road. You also need to check eye dominance out to buy a correctly handed bow, which may not be the same for both of your daughters.

Light, simple and easy to shoot will beat out a more advanced, higher performance bow at this stage for a young beginner.

Another thing that really help my kids have more fun shooting a bow is really light micro diameter arrows.
    They fly much faster and flatter and also stick into 3d targets rather than just bouncing off.

I think the ones I buy are Easton Vectors from cabelas. Good arrows, just make sure you glue the nocks into the shafts before using them or you’ll probably loose them.