Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blacktail success

blacktail success

Hey guys … took this cool blacktail a week ago and wanted to share. If you follow me on IG, you would've seen it already. He is full of character so i'm posting quite a few pics of him. Not writing much of a story here though. Got up early and worked a quiet area slowly.Pouring rain. Full rain gear. Caught him cruisin an old skidder road looking for love. Nose to the ground and by the time he noticed me it was too late. The rifle was already up.

Shot him with my 243Win and 100gr Nosler Partition. I recovered the bullet and it had retained 65% of its weight. It was a long packout back to my ATV, but not an overly technical one, so I decided to pack him out whole. It was HEAVY. Rain soaking everything did not help things. Definitely felt some soreness in my upper glutes and hip flexors the next day

It was a pretty chilly ride on the ATV back to the truck with my lower half completely soaked, including underwear. The 15 year old Arc'teryx jacket up top stayed dry all day, but the Sitka rain pants leaked. First at the knees and thighs. Then later being bent over working all the water off the jacket went straight down my butt crack. Should have bought bib pants or just wore my waders that day!

Set him up at home in front of a fan at full blast for half the night before I hung him in my beer fridge. I decided to have him mounted considering all the character on him. He was full of old scars, and fresh wounds too! his molars were showing some decent wear so i sent a pic of the teeth to some folks who are better at aging animals than I am and the responses were 6-8 years old, so he was a nice, mature BT to take.

he is being turned into jerky, stew, and a whole lot of ground for tacos

This was also the first heart i kept and ate. I have to say, it tasted pretty good! The creek was nice to have nearby for cleanup and to rinse the heart out well. Was going to keep the heart from my mule deer last year, but turns out the bullet clipped the top of it and it was all blood shot and gross, so i left it. But this year i was definitely looking forward to it. Too bad i left so many in the field over the years.

Enjoythe pics. Cheers!

Last edited by twoSevenO; 11-24-2020 at 01:47 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: blacktail success

Few more character traits lol

An old warrior!!!! Great buck

P..S. love the Falkniven F1. My favourite blade!

Super cool buck! Congrats!
    Member of CCFR

wow..great buck... for many reasons!!! thanks for the pics

Great blacktail, congratulations!!!

That's a definite old boy.. congrats
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Wow, that guy has sure seen some battles, great character. Love the pic by the creek, awesome.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Wow awesome story and pics.

Like Ron C said, an old warrior!

Congrats on a wicked blacktail buck!!

Kindest thing that ever happened to him..still in his prime,still looking for a good poke , still passing on his genes but life from here on would not be good..he went out at the top of his game and may well have never heard the shot that killed him
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-24-2020 at 02:35 PM.