Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Goat Scout and Hunt - Tag soup, Story and pictures.

Re: 2020 Goat Scout and Hunt - Tag soup, Story and pictures.

We glassed the other side and surrounding area for several hours but only re-found the nannies and kid from the previous day. And then back across the sketchy snow bowl and back to the south side. I’m honestly glad I never have to cross that again.

Dad slowly tracing my steps on the traverse.

Now day five was meant to be a pack out day only based off of something being dead. So with a few hours of light left we made it to the tent and packed everything up. We made it back down to the vehicle 2.5 hours later. 13.5km was a fairly long day. A much deserved beer at the bar later that night billy or not was a good way to end it.

It was an epic experience overall and I would definitely do it again. Goats are tough ass critters and so is the habitat of which they reside in. I do believe its meant to take more than one hunt to capitalize on a billy and I will definitely hunt them again. For those of you who can get it done first time or solo kudos to you that’s some hard work. I’m not that good yet but I am looking forward at the adventure to improve.

Thanks for reading.
    "You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." -Remi Warren

BCWF, WSSBC

Beauty pics. Thanks for sharing.

That snow slope crossing looks like a bit of a suicide mission. There is no way youd convince me, or my old man to cross that. Lol.

Sounds like you found the nanny hangouts only. Billys were likely on a couple km away, but requiring a different approach point.

It's too bad you didn't get to go back out there later in the season, or even closer to the rut, they might be moving and showing themselves more!

(I believe all of reg 3 had been extended into November)

I would have to agree. You couldn't pay me to cross that haha.

I have been after a billy for a few seasons. Had one draw, saw a ton of goats but couldn't get it done. The other trips were on friends draws. I'm hooked though. They are amazing critters. Fingers crossed I draw the area I want this year.

Well done on getting out there!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Well done, great pics, billy down or not it was a success for you IMO..

Yeah, goat hunting is not for the faint of heart. Hats off to you for giving it a go in such harsh weather conditions and difficult terrain! Thanks for bringing us along. Awesome pictures. Maybe next time you'll get one.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

Great pics and story, goats are a cool animal to pursue I try to get out after them every year.

Good stuff backcountry! Goat hunting is a favorite of mine and I have done decent at it. I have carried my heaviest packs off of goat mountains! But, heavy or not, the adventure of goat hunting is what its all about! Between being scared crapless, nearly freezing to death and dodging grizzlies the adventure is always larger than life! Your heavy packs will come!

Very cool...Thanks for the share

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply. Was an epic trip and really looking forward to getting out after them again. Pending on work maybe next year.

TwosevenO yes it does go until Nov30. but due to my lack of getting some venison earlier on I had to choose between filling the freezer or trying for goats again. I did end up grabbing a whitetail and 4pt mulie but now work is conflicting with the time left in the draw.
    "You have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." -Remi Warren

BCWF, WSSBC

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry98 View Post
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and reply. Was an epic trip and really looking forward to getting out after them again. Pending on work maybe next year.

TwosevenO yes it does go until Nov30. but due to my lack of getting some venison earlier on I had to choose between filling the freezer or trying for goats again. I did end up grabbing a whitetail and 4pt mulie but now work is conflicting with the time left in the draw.
    Makes sense .... access in is likely a serious problem now with all the snow. I'd be really curious to know how many reg 3 hunters will be taking advantage of the November season. While the rut will be on, access will be hampered in A LOT of the areas.

My opinion is not many. Those who want to chase goats in that kind of snow, and are prepared for extra long hikes as a result of it, likely just hunt them in GOS areas already