Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealing a boat

Concealing a boat

Wondering what my best options for concealing a boat for duck hunting would be, its a 14 foot lund with red sides and kind of a greyish inside. I have a bunch of old cammo netting I can use but im wondering what else I could do, would have to be something removable since its my parents boat.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Concealing a boat

Burlap, available at most garden centres! K

submerge it.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Burlap, available at most garden centres! K
    Thats kind of what I was thinking, line the inside of the boat with burlap to cut down on the glare and use the cammo net ro cover the sides and motor

Russ, I've had great success with a collapsable scissor-type frame that I built out of conduit, draped with material. I used some woven reed-type material that I bought ready made but I think a similar frame hung with burlap with a few branches/reeds draped over top would work pretty well too.

I built it 7 years ago so the details are hazy but I got ideas from the internet and it was super easy to build.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Vinyl boat camouflage. Tear it off when done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_nN60lO3Dw

Camo tarp.....

If you are setting up on the shoreline, Tarps alone are ok for early season dumb birds. Later season a simple camo tarp or burlap can work but weary birds have been educated and often avoid these setups.

If I were you Russ, Id throw a tarp over the sides and brush in your set up!!!

You can get grass matts that can be painted and dyed to match your local cover, are reusable, quick to set up and break up the outline of your boat by adding texture and depth. This also really helps camoflage your movement.

I bought 2 boxes at basspro in van 2 seasons back (4 mats per box) and its pleanty to make my 14' jon boat disappear. Still in good shape, actually better because they are weathered.
    I can set some up up like a blind where im sitting and lay others over the boat where Im not. Set them up with the unfinished edge facing up. The individual peices flop freely like real grass.

Last weekend I watched a guy set up in a great spot skybust all morning because the birds were flarring and most certainly saw his boat as easy as I did from across the marsh. Looked like he just flopped a couple camo tarps on it, but the outline of his boat was a stark contast to the broken shoreline and brush he was set up in front of.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-24-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Ron C is probably right with grass mats for that large of a boat but when I used to hunt ducks a lot out of my kayak I used a combination of camo burlap cut to fit and fake plants/grass you find at a craft store with that foam you could stick them in. I had a few compartment in the kayak that I cut the foam to fit. Anchor front and back and I basically looked like a floating island.

This system worked better for me though as I was alone (no dog) so portability was key to chase downed birds. Could pull anchor, get the bird and slip back into position. With mats and such that would if been impossible. Depends on how you hunt.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    If you are setting up on the shoreline, Tarps alone are ok for early season dumb birds. Later season a simple camo tarp or burlap can work but weary birds have been educated and often avoid these setups.

If I were you Russ, Id throw a tarp over the sides and brush in your set up!!!

You can get grass matts that can be painted and dyed to match your local cover, are reusable, quick to set up and break up the outline of your boat by adding texture and depth. This also really helps camoflage your movement.

I bought 2 boxes at basspro in van 2 seasons back (4 mats per box) and its pleanty to make my 14' jon boat disappear. Still in good shape, actually better because they are weathered.
    I can set some up up like a blind where im sitting and lay others over the boat where Im not. Set them up with the unfinished edge facing up. The individual peices flop freely like real grass.

Last weekend I watched a guy set up in a great spot skybust all morning because the birds were flarring and most certainly saw his boat as easy as I did from across the marsh. Looked like he just flopped a couple camo tarps on it, but the outline of his boat was a stark contast to the broken shoreline and brush he was set up in front of.
    I used the cammo net that I have,I zip tied it to the insides of the boat so I can flip it in while I'm trailering and getting to a spot a just flip it over from the inside out when I get where I'm going, and did the same to cover the floor, ill more than likely cut some cat tails etc to shove into the netting too,if I was able to post pics for some feed back I would but its coming along,may pick up some burlap too