Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clinton Area.....or another suggestion

Re: Clinton Area.....or another suggestion

Without question. Gang Ranch area is where I would be putting my boots on the ground. I know of two 4 points taken in the last week not far from there. Both walking only a short distance from the roads.

Rob Chipman : I was there last weekend. Camped at Riley Dam for a bit, couldn't find a 4 pt. but did find deer.

For those don't know - Riley Dam is at the West End of Little Bar Lake - Nice Camping area ! RJ

My buddy is born and raised in Clinton. Just did a week there hiking like mad everyday. Shot a small 4 on his last day. He was pretty bummed out. Very few deer left there compared to the old days (10 years ago).

I know Loon isn't the same since the fires, don't get me wrong, there's deer but just not the same it was pre-2017! It's not a matter if the roads are busy and other people are camped, who cares? What matters is where you hunt, not camp, if you road hunt that main road then yes, have fun with that however there's ton's of area to explore, you just need to go put some time in! Also beware not ATV use at Loon for hunting.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Not interested in Rd Hunting, I enjoy Hiking.

If you would prefer just hiking, Loon lake is still quite good.

Put in 5 days on foot a couple weeks ago up top of Loon. Brother in law has a cabin on the lake. Been hunting there for a few years now. Saw quite a few does as we always do and a couple immature bucks but only one 4pt who gave us the slip. It's tough hunting after the fire but can still be productive. There are other areas close by that a much much better.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Thing is, a lot more folks are climbing out of their trucks and hiking now.
    Hills are busy....sometimes more busy then the roads now

Watched 1 hill, 1km away from where i was over the course of 7 days.
    Everyday there was at least 1 person climbing up, and 1 day counted a group of 4 and another group of 2 on the same day, on the same hill.
    I saw the deer, 20 or so, and i can guarantee you they moved further and further away from the heavy traffic by the day to the point they were far
    from where most were hiking/hunting.

Guess what i am saying is, you have no clue at times "how hard" an area has been hit.
    And it appears many areas get hit hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Thing is, a lot more folks are climbing out of their trucks and hiking now.
    Hills are busy....sometimes more busy then the roads now

Watched 1 hill, 1km away from where i was over the course of 7 days.
    Everyday there was at least 1 person climbing up, and 1 day counted a group of 4 and another group of 2 on the same day, on the same hill.
    I saw the deer, 20 or so, and i can guarantee you they moved further and further away from the heavy traffic by the day to the point they were far
    from where most were hiking/hunting.

Guess what i am saying is, you have no clue at times "how hard" an area has been hit.
    And it appears many areas get hit hard!
    So true. I had an area I thought was super quiet and didn't think many people knew about. Came back and hunted it late season in the snow. Felt pretty stupid seeing all the human foot traffic all over the forest haha. Still lots of game sign but damn was I wrong.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    So true. I had an area I thought was super quiet and didn't think many people knew about. Came back and hunted it late season in the snow. Felt pretty stupid seeing all the human foot traffic all over the forest haha. Still lots of game sign but damn was I wrong.
    Yup.
    Only difference was my area was super quiet for years.
    When R5 closed for 10 days, that was the beginning of the end for my area now.
    Still deer there, but i was shaking my head the other week to see how hard the area was being hit!
    Not quiet anymore and i think many hunters dont realize how hard some of the honey holes aren't really secret honey holes.
    You have to hike a long way now to get away from traffic.
    But then again, deer like to migrate into particular areas regardless of human traffic.
    So yes, they are there, but they are being pushed into some "not so accessible" areas at times.
    And even if you go in there, making a shot or being relatively quiet is next to impossible.
    Mind you, there are a few ways around that, but i won't mention them as i dont think it is a "Sporting way to hunt".
    Meaning, i think fair chase no longer exists at that point and i will leave it at that.