Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clinton Area.....or another suggestion

Re: Clinton Area.....or another suggestion

"I had an area I thought was super quiet and didn't think many people knew about."

Early October we were hunting moose waaaay back in the mountain (as in, an hour in to camp and then a few hours walk back into the higher moose meadows).

We stop and sit down to have some lunch, and after about 30 minutes of sitting quietly we hear a crashing through the bush.

"Holy shit! There's a moose walking right up onto us. Get quiet and get ready!"

I can't believe our luck and I'm ready to go when....I see 2 guys coming through the trees! I called out to them and asked how they gained admittance to my private hunting reserve and we all had a good chuckle.

How had they found it? Google earth. They ID'd good habitat, found a road to the edge of a logging slash and bushwhacked it trying to find their own honey hole.

I'm sure there will be more and more of that. Can't blame 'em. If I was in my 20s I'd be doing the same (Frankly, I do the same now).

"Without question. Gang Ranch area is where I would be putting my boots on the ground."

Drove through the Gang last weekend and went up the hill a bit. Saw a big 3 point, and later found, from the road, some good looking habitat (south facing ridge, big firs, just looked muley) - Walked about 100 feet off the road and started finding sign on top of sign and it just got better. Didn't connect that afternoon and had to bolt, but I'll endorse your advice.
    Last edited by Rob Chipman; 11-25-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by cameron0518 View Post
    Without question. Gang Ranch area is where I would be putting my boots on the ground. I know of two 4 points taken in the last week not far from there. Both walking only a short distance from the roads.

Fully agree!
    Started hunting the area over 53 years ago. We always called the Gang, Empire, Big Creek to Farwell Canyon area GOD'S COUNTRY. Just ask 308 Lover.

Here's some photos
    see

See post #19
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ght=gang+ranch
    See post #8
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ght=gang+ranch
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

So thinking about Chasm Rd.
    Any snow reports?
    Driving a 1/2 Tonne Truck, towing a small Utility Trailer, have Chains.

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    So thinking about Chasm Rd.
    Any snow reports?
    Driving a 1/2 Tonne Truck, towing a small Utility Trailer, have Chains.
    Its a very good road. You will be fine.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "I had an area I thought was super quiet and didn't think many people knew about."

Early October we were hunting moose waaaay back in the mountain (as in, an hour in to camp and then a few hours walk back into the higher moose meadows).

We stop and sit down to have some lunch, and after about 30 minutes of sitting quietly we hear a crashing through the bush.

"Holy shit! There's a moose walking right up onto us. Get quiet and get ready!"

I can't believe our luck and I'm ready to go when....I see 2 guys coming through the trees! I called out to them and asked how they gained admittance to my private hunting reserve and we all had a good chuckle.

How had they found it? Google earth. They ID'd good habitat, found a road to the edge of a logging slash and bushwhacked it trying to find their own honey hole.

I'm sure there will be more and more of that. Can't blame 'em. If I was in my 20s I'd be doing the same (Frankly, I do the same now).

"Without question. Gang Ranch area is where I would be putting my boots on the ground."

Drove through the Gang last weekend and went up the hill a bit. Saw a big 3 point, and later found, from the road, some good looking habitat (south facing ridge, big firs, just looked muley) - Walked about 100 feet off the road and started finding sign on top of sign and it just got better. Didn't connect that afternoon and had to bolt, but I'll endorse your advice.
    I think it is the new way for hunters who are connected to the internet. Call it the Meat Eater effect and people are just starting to hunt differently because most of us would like that pristine hunting experience without a truck driving by every 10 minutes. With hunting pod casts about every topic, there isn't the requirement for a slow learning curve for everything else. Accept learning an area that you have never been before. So like Jelvis used to talk in tongues about different areas around Kamloops and freak everyone out, the info is out there you just have to find it.

Cheers