Thread: Canada Goose Hunting

Canada Goose Hunting

Has anyone had any success with hunting Canada Goose at boundary bay lately? I've heard some good good things about that area from a friend but never been there personally. Just got into waterfowl hunting this season so any insight would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canada Goose Hunting

As of this past weekend Canada goose hunting is closed ,,,,but fear not. It opens again on Dec. 19.

Yeah I just checked thx. Should I head to boundary bay for Canada Geese when it opens again on Dec 19 or have they all moved inland for the winter?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    As of this past weekend Canada goose hunting is closed ,,,,but fear not. It opens again on Dec. 19.
    mastercaster I've always wondered why they had the various split openings for Canadas. Any insight as to why?

The season used to run from say sept.10- Jan 20 straight through (approximate). The MOE found that the local birds wouldn't decoy anymore after the first 2-3 weeks of the season and when you got to say Nov. when the migrating birds showed up the same would happen with them, so you had thousands of birds that refused to get shot doing all kinds of damage to farmers recovery crops, ie winter wheat. So they tried the spit seasons and it seemed to work, the birds got dumb again. The later season into march is to try to keep the population down, I would think.

That does make sense ACB. Thanks a lot. I haven't really targeted Canadas until recently so I hope that turns out to be true. I'll keep all my Canada decoys out of storage for December!

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    The season used to run from say sept.10- Jan 20 straight through (approximate). The MOE found that the local birds wouldn't decoy anymore after the first 2-3 weeks of the season and when you got to say Nov. when the migrating birds showed up the same would happen with them, so you had thousands of birds that refused to get shot doing all kinds of damage to farmers recovery crops, ie winter wheat. So they tried the spit seasons and it seemed to work, the birds got dumb again. The later season into march is to try to keep the population down, I would think.
    That's not totally accurate. The Migratory bird treaty with US only allows for so many days hunting. I also is written that there be no hunting between march 10 and sept 1 .I think the total number of hunt days allowed is 107. Both early and late seasons are to target local pest populations of Canada geese which are the ones that really do a lot of damage. IN order to make those season a reality, they had to split the seasons up to fit within the treaty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Do you hunt Canadas on public or private lands? I've heard most people who hunt them are more than likely to have hunted them on private lands than in public areas like the marshes in Ladner.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    That's not totally accurate. The Migratory bird treaty with US only allows for so many days hunting. I also is written that there be no hunting between march 10 and sept 1 .I think the total number of hunt days allowed is 107. Both early and late seasons are to target local pest populations of Canada geese which are the ones that really do a lot of damage. IN order to make those season a reality, they had to split the seasons up to fit within the treaty.
    This is the correct answer.......
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by DDHunter View Post
    Do you hunt Canadas on public or private lands? I've heard most people who hunt them are more than likely to have hunted them on private lands than in public areas like the marshes in Ladner.
    Canadas are rare on Robert's Bank (Ladner). I have seen them but few and not predictable. I will still put out Canada dekes but as confidence decoys because they are so big they are visible from further away.

I got one at Boundary Bay (Tsawwassen) on opening day - it was a shooting gallery as there were easily 20+ hunters crowded in there - and with three days of trying after that got nothing. That's public land for you.
    Last edited by silveragent; 11-24-2020 at 09:58 AM.