Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Christmas gift ideas for the hunter/bird hunter

Re: Christmas gift ideas for the hunter/bird hunter

I’m leaning towards a bird vest or some binos. He has quite a bit of gear already for hiking. He usually does at least one(or more) 5-6 day backpacking trips with me each year and he actually has a booth at our local market where he sells paracord quick deploys, bracelets and hanks.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I liked the compass and course to learn how to use it idea but perhaps that's all ready done. Can never go wrong with that low tech knowledge. Maybe a 22 for targets.

A pet Budgie or Parakeet

One must learn to love birds before being able to respect the hunt of birds.

I agree with Drillbit's idea of a Leatherman Wave. Been essential kit for me for a long, long time. Sort of soft steel but I can get a wicked edge on mine.

Also, a good headlamp or a good lighter are good ideas. Fatwood is cheap if you find it yourself and it makes an excellent gift.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    A pet Budgie or Parakeet

One must learn to love birds before being able to respect the hunt of birds.
    Fun fact: Budgie is short for "Budgerigar" which is an English version of the Aborigine term "betcherrygah", which means "good to eat"

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’m leaning towards .... some binos.
    Now that you bring that up I gotta say: I really appreciate my bino holders. Holds the bios nicely in front, protects them, easy to access, makes me use the binos a lot - they really are a good addition that I appreciate and I'm a pretty minimalist gear guy.

Improvement on what I have (Horn Hunters) would be a good range finder pocket. Currently I keep it on a string under my shirt and pull it out when I need it, but a good secure pocket on the bio holders would be good.
    Last edited by Rob Chipman; 11-23-2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I’m leaning towards a bird vest or some binos. He has quite a bit of gear already for hiking. He usually does at least one(or more) 5-6 day backpacking trips with me each year and he actually has a booth at our local market where he sells paracord quick deploys, bracelets and hanks.
    I have always suggested to new hunters that good optics are one of the first things to buy. As we all know, good binos and good boots are probably two of the most used items on any big game hunting trip.

adult magazines and a mickey..lol