Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taiga sleeping bags

Re: Taiga sleeping bags

They are decent. I had one from the 90's. Lasted along time.

I would just be weary about the current quality and customer service. I bought a rain jacket and pants a couple years ago and I was not impressed with either.

That being said maybe their bags are still good! Sounds like it from the positive posts here!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

I've got the -7 Cloud 9 bag, it's great. The Night Express bag looks pretty good too. I don't think there's better value in high-loft down gear than Taiga.

I have 2 Taiga 1001 nights bags that I bought for my kids to use sheep hunting this year. I also have 2 Kuiu bags to compare to. I think the Taiga bags are great bags especially for the cost. They are light, warm, well constructed and very water resistant. I tried to submerge one in a river for 5 minutes and it took on very minimal water in the baffles. I draped over my boat and it dried completely in a couple of hours with good sun. We did end up with some wet hoods when backpacking. They were packed at the bottom of the kids packs and it poured rain all day. The stuff sacks turned out to be useless for keeping the water out so they ended up soaking up a little water in the hoods. We were able to dry them out back at the truck between hikes. Now use waterproof hydrofume bags to make sure they stay dry. I washed the kuiu bags and Taiga bags at the end of the trip with down wash and found that the kuiu bags dried 3 times faster but I think the Taiga bags will do fine if you take care to keep them dry. They are definitely water resistant which I proved to myself by trying to submerge in the river but they will wet out with continuous exposure and take a little longer to dry than hydrophobic down. I am no expert but this is what I’ve found using them side by side. The 1001 nights show the size I have as being good up to 5’10”. I am 5’10” and would size up since my feet put too much pressure on the bottom of the foot box. Great bags and I wouldn’t hesitate to use.

Its sounds like they have decent quality. I forgot to ask about the zippers. Any snagging issues with them? Thanks guys.

Zippers are excellent.

Im sure the Taiga sleeping bags are great, but no reference from me, I use a big Agnes bag,, but I found a different company in Canada, that you can order what you need, temp wise, check out wexgear.ca or com, at 275 for a -30 bag that makes it a better pill to buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta hunter View Post
    Im sure the Taiga sleeping bags are great, but no reference from me, I use a big Agnes bag,, but I found a different company in Canada, that you can order what you need, temp wise, check out wexgear.ca or com, at 275 for a -30 bag that makes it a better pill to buy from.
    Been looking at the Wex gear site as well, but I think they are re-branded Chinese made "Alibaba" gear. Not saying they are bad, just saying they are re banded gear. Also looking at the Taiga gear and will probably go that route. Hoping for a new 22 first, so the bag will have to wait for the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta hunter View Post
    I have no experience with Wexgear, but the Taiga temp ratings seem to be accurate, if not conservative, and their warmth ratings match with similarly spec'd bags from Western Mountaineering, also known to conservatively estimate ratings. A made-in-Canada option is almost always going to carry a higher price tag, and again it's a personal choice as to whether you think that has any value. For me it does, especially these days. The Taiga bags also use a premium 850+ FP European down (costs more, weighs less for the same fill volume).

I'm always more cautious of made-in-China product claims, which is where the WexGear bags appear to originate. There is no information on the WexGear bags about what type and origin of down is used (duck, goose, street pigeons?). They may be decent bags, and they are certainly cheaper, but in general "you get what you pay for" holds true, and it's always a trade-off of cost, weight, quality, and any ethical/moral value you place on product origin.

I placed an order for the cloud 9 XL bag with the -18c rating. I was real close to buying a western mountaineering kodiak but I actually couldnt find one in Canada in a long. I think this taiga bag should be a great purchase and it will fill a void for winter snowmobile camping. Now if I can only find an exped 9 winter downmat!

Very happy with the two bags I have from Taiga. Great customer service too. Nothing fancy but they work as advertised and I think it's tough to find a better value.