Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question, located in Fraser Valley

Newbie question, located in Fraser Valley

Hi, I’m a new to hunting and had a quick question. Could someone let me know if Norrish Creek FSR in are 2-8 is a good place or even legal place to hunt for blacktail? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Newbie question, located in Fraser Valley

Download the IHunter app to answer a lot of those questions.

Bruh......

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    Download the IHunter app to answer a lot of those questions.
    Thank you. That was awesome advice. I just downloaded it and figured it all out.

Yeah, it’s a fine place to hunt for blacktail if you like to walk. There is a gate on the road a ways up. Not sure of the status of that.

You’ll find there’s a certain culture that some hunters subscribe to where you’re not ever suppose to ask questions about places or animals. You must do everything yourself, preferably in secret, and only talk about it in general terms after the fact. I wouldn’t pay them too much attention. I suspect they’re mostly the sort that read with a finger on the page.

Good luck if you make it out hunting up there.

Quote Originally Posted by PrecariousPhoto View Post
    Yeah, it’s a fine place to hunt for blacktail if you like to walk. There is a gate on the road a ways up. Not sure of the status of that.

You’ll find there’s a certain culture that some hunters subscribe to where you’re not ever suppose to ask questions about places or animals. You must do everything yourself, preferably in secret, and only talk about it in general terms after the fact. I wouldn’t pay them too much attention. I suspect they’re mostly the sort that read with a finger on the page.

Great points.

I'll add my own observations for a new blacktail hunter:

I slowly walk old roads and look in sideways. That is to say, not on an angle from the road, but at 90 degrees. I see a lot more deer this way.

I still hunt walking through bushes and timber, but really don't see as many deer. The ones I do see in the timber are usually running away from me. The ones I spot from old roads seem to feel more secure and they just stand there.

I also use my binos on hillsides and clearcuts, but again, I just don't see as many deer as walking old roads.

Have fun, and good luck!
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Good luck. I've never hunted Blacktail, just muleys, and blundered into whitetail. But someone here with obvious much more experience than me, said " Blacktail are tough. they are smart like muleys and hide like whitetail. " Not only that, they live in a rainforest.

Quote Originally Posted by PrecariousPhoto View Post

thank you for the advice. It was very helpful. I also appreciate that you realize not all of us have family or friends that can guide them. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Great points.

I'll add my own observations for a new blacktail hunter:

I slowly walk old roads and look in sideways. That is to say, not on an angle from the road, but at 90 degrees. I see a lot more deer this way.

I still hunt walking through bushes and timber, but really don't see as many deer. The ones I do see in the timber are usually running away from me. The ones I spot from old roads seem to feel more secure and they just stand there.

I also use my binos on hillsides and clearcuts, but again, I just don't see as many deer as walking old roads.

Have fun, and good luck!
    thank you for the helpful tips

Quote Originally Posted by Downwindtracker2 View Post
    Good luck. I've never hunted Blacktail, just muleys, and blundered into whitetail. But someone here with obvious much more experience than me, said " Blacktail are tough. they are smart like muleys and hide like whitetail. " Not only that, they live in a rainforest.
    good point, thank you