Thread: Snow geese

Snow geese

I am heading out to Brunswick point tomorrow morning and just wondering if it worth bringing some swowie socks as well as my duck decoys. I haven't been out in a couple of weeks and just wondering if there still flying over.
    Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Snow geese

Last weekend they were all partying far out at Deltaport. Very few flying over. Of course things could change but that's just what I observed.

Saw some guys heading around towards the refuge around 2:30 today. I am guessing they were setting up for snows. Last weekend I saw lots but didn’t see many trading today.

Hey how was your attempt for snowies this morning? Any geese come your way? I just started waterfowl hunting this year and was wondering if there's any geese left to shoot.

Well no geese over me this morning but did manage to get a couple of drake mallards.

Sunday morning Brunswick the snowies rose up like an hour before opening from farms and headed right to Deltaport and that's where they stayed until I left at noon. They were in the thousands but not even the rising tide moved them. To me it seems like they've learned a safe time to cross. I've pretty much decided to put away all my snowie socks until spring unless someone here has a better non-public land opportunity where I could employ them.

In the Van Sun this morning: https://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-...-geese-numbers

"In the distance, along the rim of Boundary Bay, I could hear the clap of shotguns. Relaxed hunting regulations have become part of the efforts to reduce the geese population — to little effect — and I could not help but think that while we are in the midst of a great extinction event caused solely by us, that we, in micromanaging the cascading consequences of our own depredations, we were reduced to encouraging the slaughter of yet more life.How much longer could we do this, I wondered? How many of our sins could we commit until they outstrip our capacity to mitigate them? How long before we no longer hear the call of snow geese and feel joy at the sight of their abundance? And will that day ever come when we embrace them as equals, and see that they are us, and we are them, cohabitants of an earth out of balance?"

What was the point of the article? The first half is like a high school poetry assignment as the writer tries to flex his literary muscles with cheap similes, then summarizes his uninformed and biased argument with some SJW and virtue signaling input at the end attacking hunters yet offering no solution of his own.

Last edited by dak0ta; 11-23-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Was not a bad article until that zinger at the end that strikes at our hunting traditions. As usual an urbanite in love with the philosophy of nature has little use for the facts. If hunting has such little impression on the snowie numbers could it not be because of the lack of hunting opportunities? I guess that is too much to consider by the author.