Thread: Blacktail starting place

Blacktail starting place

Hey everyone my late season mule deer hunt plans have unfortunately changed and I will no longer be going, that leaves me eager to still get out and blacktail is the closest option for me so I'm wondering where to start as honestly I dont really have a clue, I dont want your secret spot or honey hole just an area to start hiking from any help is appreciated and if you don't want to put it on the thread just shoot me a pm thanks. Cheers and happy hunting

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail starting place

what general area you looking at? anywhere sorta interest you at all?

Find mature fir stands above feeding areas like 4-5 year clear cuts, play the wind and still hunt them... blacktails especially bucks will for the most part be nocturnal and not be out in the cuts during hunting light. You may luck out now as the rut is going but they love to bed up high in mature timber.

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    what general area you looking at? anywhere sorta interest you at all?
    I'm located in the fraser valley, not really sure where to start I was thinking possibly harrison area but not certain or have any spots narrowed down,anywhere really as long as I'm out enjoying it im happy

Harrison West, 20 mile Bay, towards Pemberton, big timber around the aged cuts.

These last few weeks push the big boys down. Some of the best hunts we've had in there were the last 2 weekends. The place still holds some big BTs, but we're quite sure many are certainly a x between BTs and MDeer. Big bodied, more compact racks then a typical MD, but not full on BTs.

Some nice bucks in there.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Cody66 View Post
    I'm located in the fraser valley, not really sure where to start I was thinking possibly harrison area but not certain or have any spots narrowed down,anywhere really as long as I'm out enjoying it im happy
    There are many areas to go look, be mindful as Dec approaches many will be hunting reg 2 hard to avoid tag soup of top off the freezer. I'd suggest Jones lake or up skagit towards Ross lake. Both may require time away from the truck and lots of patience!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Harrison is a great area!
    Get away from the main road and explore some of logged areas. Especially if any are still gated and would have kept the ATV and 4x4 crowd out.

Walk quiet and glass lots. Theres deer around!

for starters,search and read, reread, and memorize any post by proguide66.
    that will get you in the right direction. its funny how people think location is important for blacktails.. its not. HOW is way more important than where.
    go slooow, alone, in the dark in and in the dark out, stop and sit and glass (and listen!) for longer than you think is reasonable... than sit some more.
    when you are in the bush and huntng, stay off yer fkn phone. whenever you check your phone or some stupid ig or fb feed, your brain returns to the start line in terms of awareness.

go slow, early, lots, with the intent to kill and you will connect.