Thread: Youth hunting license

Youth hunting license

I have a question about youth getting their hunter #. My currently 9 year old turns 10 in the end of July. He wants to get his license and go hunting asap. My concern is that if we wait until he turns 10 to take the core then he may not get his hunter number until after the season starts.
    Does anyone know if he can take the core before he turns 10 and wait until his birthday to submit the paper work?

Does anyone know how long new hunters have to wait on average to get their hunter number?

Has anyone had a similar experience and if so do you have any suggestions.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Youth hunting license

My son started his CORE course the day of his 10th birthday, Instructor wouldn't allow him to take it before that day as it is stated 10 years old for youth. We had his hunter # and all his paperwork back in time for the LEH in May, so I think it only took 2 or 3 weeks after he took the course and we had everything set up for him. it was quite simple to get everything done and the hardest part for me was dealing with proof of residency and filing that online. People in Victoria were a big help on getting everything done when I was having issues with the computer and sending his info.

I would think if he takes the course and passes and paperwork is submitted right away you should have everything back mid to late August from what I experienced. You are given the option of faster mailing of your CORE paperwork when filling everything out after the exam, I didn't bother with it as we had lots of time and it was still quite quick for having everything in place.

Good Luck to your son in taking the CORE.

Depending on where you are located you can get things done pretty much within a day or two. My wife and daughter took theirs together in the summer of 2019. The course instructor issued the certificate for completion of the course. I ran that paperwork over to the BCWF office in Port Kells and they did up the paperwork to issue a FWID. I then had to set up an online profile for my daughter on behalf of myself with the proof of residency etc as stated above. It doesn't take long for the approval for that either. My wife took her certificates to Service BC and did it all there so that's another option.

You should be fine. My wife and her friend and friends 11 year old all did their core this summer. We did the drive over to BCWF and friends mailed from Victoria. Both ways had hunter numbers within 2 weeks.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I had my kids CORE #s back within a month through the mail

Thanks for all the replies. I appear to be over thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I appear to be over thinking it.
    There’s a lot of that going around these days... Don’t sweat it!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

If your in the LML you can hit BCWF office in Port Kells the day after he passes the test, then hop over the Golden Ears bridge the BC gov't off on Dewdney in Maple Ridge and leave with a laminated Hunter card same day.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

There is a gov office in surrey 152 and 104 that’s were we went

Get the 2020 - 2021 CORE manual for no more than $20 bucks
    You teach him, study lots, challenge the exams. Depending on who Examiner is 2 tests for $60 bucks. 1practical firearm handling, gun and ammo test. 1multiple choice T/F 80 questions
    Or do the CORE ONLINE for about a hundred bucks. Then challenge the exams. PASS, go to BCWF or mail in to get FWID.
    WSSBC
    BCWF
    CCFR
    BHA