Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

Re: Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Mystery Ranch Metcalf
    The definitive voice.

I like the mystery ranch. A little bit heavier than other options, but super comfy. I run the Marshall, but the metcalf would do you.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Seek Outside, Kifaru, or Stone Glacier... I have all 3 and still undecided which is my favorite. If it weren't for COVID and you lived nearby I'd offer trying them on for fit.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

I spent a bunch of time looking at the various proposed options last night. The Mystery Ranch Metcalf with a Kirafu universal gun bearer is what I am currently leaning towards.

For a guy who is 6'1 and 195 what size in the Metcalf do you guys think would work? There seemed to be quite a bit of confusion on sizing of the newer versions of this pack when I was reading about it on another forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    The Mystery Ranch Metcalf with a Kirafu universal gun bearer is what I am currently leaning towards.
    Great setup, it's what I run also.

New Mystery Ranch packs have the molle webbing so you could use the standard Kifaru gun bearer instead of the universal I believe.
    I'll be upgrading to the newer Metcalf for the improved waistbelt so I'll be using that new sizing chart.
    My old pack is a large but swapped the belt for a medium as I would max it out on heavy loads. I'm a 34" waist normally but at the end of a week long hunt, that can change.

p.s. great sale here on older packs
    https://shop.rampartcorp.com/packs/hunting/

Here’s another vote for the MR Metcalf. I use a MR Crewcab for my day hunt pack too. They are both great!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I'd be looking really hard at one of the stone glacier expedition packs. They work for a 1-3 day pack pretty well in bivy mode, but you still have the option of going for a couple weeks if the opportunity presents itself. Lots of good brands but if you are buying only one pack don't choose a limiting version.

I don’t know if anybody else is having this issue, but my rifle is starting to wear through my waist belt from my gun bearer. I’m going to have to put a patch or a rub guard on it for next year. The gun bearer is the best setup, hands down, just thought I’d mention it in case you guys wanted to throw something on your belt before it wears through like mine.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone!

Hoping there are some sales on the MR packs in Canada for black friday...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone!

Hoping there are some sales on the MR packs in Canada for black friday...
    Rampart seems to put sales on in the spring. They just had a sale you missed a few weeks ago.