Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

Re: Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

EXO MTN is having a Black Friday sale. Buy once cry once.

From what ive seen MR, Stone glacier, Kifaru seem to be best of the best. I also just picked up a tatonka lastenkraxe that seems solid and should work quite well as a backpack/meat hauler for a good price.

After poking around on the internet the last few days these Metcalf packs seem surprisingly hard to find in B.C. in a medium waist belt in the 2020 model with the upgraded frame (did find 1 2019 model) ... except Cabelas of course. I would rather buy from a smaller BC retailer if possible. If anyone has a line on a 2020 model, preferably in a solid colour, size medium I'd love to hear!

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I use a MR Crewcab/guidelight frame for my DayPack which Im sure I could make do for a cpl nights but I would rather use the Marshall bag for multi night outings.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 11-25-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Any of the big name packs will work just fine. The biggest thing will be finding one that fits you. The frames and bags are all designed to carry heavy loads. I have tried them all and settled on EXO a few years back. I started with the K2 system and then bought the same setup for my 3 kids. I upgraded to the K3 last year and have hauled out sheep, elk, moose and deer with it. It works well for me and the customer service is outstanding. They are small enough to care and big enough to back up what they sell.

I have also had great customer service from Kifaru.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Any of the big name packs will work just fine. The biggest thing will be finding one that fits you. The frames and bags are all designed to carry heavy loads. I have tried them all and settled on EXO a few years back. I started with the K2 system and then bought the same setup for my 3 kids. I upgraded to the K3 last year and have hauled out sheep, elk, moose and deer with it. It works well for me and the customer service is outstanding. They are small enough to care and big enough to back up what they sell.

I have also had great customer service from Kifaru.
    As 264mag says all the big name pack makers are awesome, it really just comes down to what fits you best and your needs,

Ive owned most of them also, Stone Glacier 6900, Exo Mtn Gear 5500, Kuiu, MR Nice 5500 and MR Guidelight/crewcab/Marshal, and for me nothing fits me better and is more comfortable than the MR frames but Im on the chunky side, my skinny little brother loves his Kuiu pack which I cant even get the waist belt done up on !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Just scooped one in subalpine for 20% off from Nechako outdoors on their Black Friday sale! Although I would have preferred a solid, I just can't pass up a good sale.

Looks like they have another in large in stock on sale for anyone else who is looking.

Got my Metcalf delivered on Saturday morning, and put a light load of 30 pounds in and went for a 6 km light hike. The thing couldn't be any comfier. I was very impressed.

Now to test it with some more substantial weight and see.

Feels incredibly well built.

Fabric I can see being a bit noises with branches hitting it would be my only concern so far, although among the packs my buddies have none of them would be overly stealthy either.

Mystery ranch seems to perform better with the more weight you put in them. I find it fits funny when it’s loaded light. I was training with over 90pounds in mine.

Now do yourself a favour and get a gun bearer to go with it. Don’t waste your time with the mystery ranch sling.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Yes I will likely get the gun-bearer next. The MR sling looks pretty hokey to me.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction on this, plus a big thanks to Nechako outdoors for being Johnny on the spot with the super quick processing and shipping.