Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

Looking for a buy once cry once option on a pack that would serve well for a 1 to 3 day hunt (mostly 1 day) but capable of hauling meat, either a whole boned out mule deer or an elk/moose quarter.

Thinking possible stone glacier somewhere in the 3000-4000 size, but hard to decide on particulars of frame and bag.

Living on Vancouver Island so it will be used in the rain and pushing through bush if I do alpine/remote timber hunts with it here. Accordingly, the noise and waterproof-ness of the pack are major concerns. Would also like the option for an external quick access rifle carrier (or perhaps just strap on the kifaru gun-bearer regardless of whether I get a kifaru pack if it is compatible with other brands???).

Hoping to also do some alpine mule deer hunting in the interior in coming years so comfort level on long hikes is going to matter for that plus the ability to carry a moderate amount of gear.

Would like to keep this under $1,000 with all necessary accessories.

Suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ideal choice for 1-3 day pack capable of hauling meat

I use the Eberlestock F1 mainframe with the F65 Little bigTop and J2DB dry bag, works well for me...

I use the stone glacier evo 40/56 if you want simplistic and super light I recommend this. One main pocket and one side pocket for a spotter I then use dry bags to separate stuff in the main bag like food ect. The SKY frames are great my buddy has one and loves it I like my evo frame it’s comfy no complaints either. Exo makes a great bag and really if you got the coin just buy a Kifaru they are the best from what I’ve heard. Also been hearing good things about seek outdoors bags I know a couple guys running then.
    BC Wild sheep society
    BC BCHA
    BC wildlife federation
    RMGA

I have a Mystery Ranch metcalf and really like it. I think Italian Sporting carries them, so you could check them out. It compresses down really small, so it works for day hunts too. I have a Kifaru gun bearer, great way to go. It is so fast to get the gun up to your shoulder (faster than having the gun slung over your shoulder). Bit of a pain taking the pack off and on but only 30 seconds or so of taking the gun out and putting it back in when you get your pack on again. When my gun is in it, I hold the barrel with one hand when glassing, it makes it almost like having a rest. Much more stable.

Exo Mountain Gear k2 2000 or k3 1800. The k3 belt/suspension is very comfortable under weight and hauls meet well.

Exo and kifaru are certainly top shelf but they run north of $1000 by a bit! The stone glacier would be an awesome choice and check out mystery ranch as well. They have great packs for around $750-800 before taxes. And by all means get a kifaru gunbearer. They are cheap and work excellent!

And mystery ranch can be found in multiple stores so you can actually see it before you buy it!

Mystery Ranch Pintler.

Mystery Ranch Metcalf
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Would be tough to do an overnight trip with anything under 4000 in my opinion. My kuiu 3600 is stuffed full on a gear intensive day hunt in cold weather. Couldn't imagine cramming a tent in there.

I would be looking for something atleast 5500 or more.

If I could do it over again I would go with the MR Marshall or an Exo 6400.

I currently run the Kuiu 3600 as a day pack and throw on the 7200 for multi night trips.
    WSSBC
    CCFR