Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant hunting

Re: Pheasant hunting

It appears I may have unintentionally derailed the thread with my original post. (so I've deleted it). For what it's worth I agree 100% that there is no comparison between farm and wild birds. Just seemed like an opportunity to share some pics.

Apologies dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    It appears I may have unintentionally derailed the thread with my original post. (so I've deleted it). For what it's worth I agree 100% that there is no comparison between farm and wild birds. Just seemed like an opportunity to share some pics.

Apologies dutch.
    No need sir ,I could look at working dogs all day long.Those birds I have are not wild but they are without a doubt as close as I have ever seen,and I chased a few in my time including those Alberta boys.These start running as soon as they see you and I have missed a bunch,but love watching my dogs work and remembering back when ..

Hunted farm birds behind my Lab. Watching him bust blackberry thickets and push out birds was a BUZZ.

Thinking about getting a pup...

Nicely done, Dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm very nice indeed..
    How would a guy get ahold of 2 capes..one male one female for fly tying ?
    The ones I was given are almost gone. .
    And the ones in the stores are poor quality AND old..dried out..waste of time money.
    What are the rules on donating a couple capes ?

Looks like 2 ...3 more surgeries coming up...that and covid precautions mean plenty of tying time.
    Already was given a guinea fowl from a bird killed by a bear on my buddies ranch..now lots for tying and dying for doc spratleys

Cheers
    Srupp
    Thought this article would interest you... should you get a donated cape or two. Tips on preserving them...

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/up...and-decoration
    The Pharmaceutical Industry is just as interested in World Health as the Arms Industry is in World Peace.

"We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one." -Confucius

Nice pics 👌 guy's lots of areas to hunt wild birds in BC just do your home work and you will not need to go to Alberta to hunt wild birds.

Quote Originally Posted by slyfox View Post
    Nice pics 👌 guy's lots of areas to hunt wild birds in BC just do your home work and you will not need to go to Alberta to hunt wild birds.
    I agree, there are lots of opportunities to hunt wild birds in BC, however I still struggle with pheasant and quail. It doesn’t seem to me that there are many areas to go after these wild birds any longer. As the destruction of good habitat is replaced with bricks and mortar it’s pretty tough. I have lost so much ground to hunt it’s crazy. I’m assuming you are still finding good areas to hunt these species?

Nice photo. Very jealous. I have Some great memories hunting wild ring necks. Nothing like it......... Those Days are long gone where i live anyways. No expert by think its a combo of diminishing habitat, too many house cats and raptors (hawks. Primarily)

The number 1 thing is habitat, if they don't have any place to live, they won't live. Even in Alberta it seems the only place you find the wild birds is on private land where the land owner can't get equipment in to denude the land and put a crop on it. There are places on public land that there are still wild birds but those places are few and far between. There are places in the US that do it right, because they understand the dollar value that the birds can generate. They pay their famers to not put some of their property into crops (CRP program). States like N.&S. Dakota, Montana, and Nebraska have really good populations of wild birds they also release birds as well. If you go through rural Montana around opening day looking for a motel or hotel room you'll be out of luck, they'll be full of bird hunters. It's really something to see, banners strung across main street small town USA saying HUNTERS WECOME. Those birds generate Millions of dollars.

November 27 our last bird Sadie looking happy

Birds hiding behind every bush of the valley bottom in the north okanagan...but 98% live on private land, very few crown land hunting opportunities. Have to do some doorknocking and a guy is in business!